And remember also the racing around our fair home city I did to locate a brooch for the first dress I bought and then changed my mind about when I found the side panelled black dress pants to wear instead?
So here is how that whole fiasco has turned out: I left the pants at home in Regina because they were too bulky for my carry on and too dressy for anything else we would be doing here on our holiday, the dress I did bring and have worn four times, discovering in the process that it doesn’t look as good on me as I hoped it did, isn’t a style I like as much as I thought it did when I purchased it in desperation, my husband who pays no attention to my clothes telling me after I wore it out for sushi dinner last night that he doesn’t care for it on me and my son’s unusual complete lack of any comment at all about the dress, landed that dress and the brooch I purchased to wear with it in a recyclable bag this morning and now they reside in a thrift store ten blocks from our apartment! Buh Bye…….👋
The thrift store on 3rd Ave and E 29th Street was our first stop along our daily walk. (4 miles today) After depositing my wee bag of goodies there we headed west along E29th up Lexington to stop #2, lunch at Anjappar Indian restaurant, South Indian cuisine, for chicken curry, rice, chicken tikka masala and garlic naan. The prices were too high because of the location, but oh yummy, the food was excellent and the service wonderful for such an unassuming looking establishment.
From there we walked a couple of more blocks south across Park Avenue to Madison Avenue to Madison Square Park, taking photos of the nearby golden spired New York Life Insurance and the landmark Flatiron buildings. Photos will follow when we get home. The park had so many big arbutus and other trees, a dog park, lots of benches lining the paths that were filled with business people eating their lunches, a company setting up large screens and speakers to livestream part of the U.S. Open competition and a beautiful fountain in the centre of a large pool where people have been tossing loose change. Our useless small change joined the rest of the pennies, dimes and nickels already in residence under the shimmering water.
We walked most of the way back straight down Madison Avenue past Fendi and Versace and Issey Miyake and other designer stores. Jammed in between between some of these upscale clothing establishments we stumbled across elderly Madison Avenue Baptist Church, looking a tad lost in the midst of the overpowering retail ridiculousness. Hahaha….
As we wandered up Madison Avenue we came across one of Amazon’s Whole Foods stores. We have been looking all over Midtown and downtown for a pomegranate to take to our Rosh Hashanah dinner hostess on Friday night, with zero success. We had been wondering if we would have to take the long subway ride to crowded Zabar’s for a pomegranate to include with the rest of our typical Rosh Hashanah gifts of honey and apples, but today came across an outlet of Amazon’s Whole Food serendipitously and there were the elusive pomegranates: only a half dozen remaining in the bin, but all in good condition. What an unexpected blessing. Now we feel prepared to greet our dinner hostess.
So it is 3:30pm, we are having a bit of a rest, we have leftover curry and tikka masala for dinner tonight, but I know we will be craving another little walk after dinner, so we may walk back up to the library and sit in the park for half an hour.
It is one of the hotter, more humid days we have experienced since we arrived, so we have both air conditioners running in the suite and are lazing around in our jammies. How very lovely!
To think: when we arrived here nearly a month ago I could barely walk the five blocks to Trader Joe’s and back carting a small bag of groceries and now I can walk 22 consecutive blocks before feeling the need to sit down. I LOVE 💕 NYC!
No comments:
Post a Comment