Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Brrrrrr!!!!!!!!

The ten degree drop in daytime temperatures has left me feeling chilled to the bone all ready and the autumn has not yet arrived.  Guess I adjusted pretty well this year to the blistering hot days earlier in the summer.  There is snow in the highest elevations in the Alberta Rocky Mountains, a very cold rain has begun falling here at home and I am going to spend the afternoon hauling my light sweaters and shirts with at least elbow length sleeves out of the storage bins.

When I woke up this morning I realized it is time to put away the summer night wear and haul out the thick cotton flannel....with sleeves and high necklines!!  It is time to wash the summer blankets and put the autumn quilt on the bed.

Fortunately it seems we are forecast for a long fall season, but the Farmers' Almanac is predicting extreme cold for all the Canadian prairies and the midwest in the USA.  Since their accuracy is still in the neighbourhood of 76% even with recent surprising climate changes, I suspect it is going to be wickedly cold this winter.

Whatever was bothering my health last week and upping my blood glucose readings seems to have disappeared. All is back to "normal" once again. Whew!!

Yesterday was my husband's last day of holidays for the summer, but it was myself who had a stellar day.  In the morning I was able to run all my errands, including picking up another large bag of fresh BC peaches and some cherries.  I had some of each for breakfast this morning and am so glad I spent the large amount of cash for the small amount of fresh and delicious fruit.  At noon I went for a long lunch with one of our church musicians.  LOOOOOOONG it was, indeed!  We arrived at the restaurant just after 1pm and finally dragged ourselves out again, still talking well after 4pm.  Then we sat in front of my house and talked for at least another half hour.  It was an absolultely delightful afternoon.  My husband was able to complete his summer garage cleaning and organizing project as I wasn't there to interrupt him or distract him from working.  To celebrate the end of his holidays we went out for dinner.  Two meals out in one day right here in the home town. hahaha  That is a nearly unheard of occurrence and it was a lot of fun.  All the salads didn't hurt me and the Greek chicken breast was a nice treat.  I did discover I cannot handle eating restaurant soups any more.  I spooned what I could of the rice, veggies and chicken in my noontime cup of soup, but left almost all the broth in the teeny bowl.  There seems to be so much salt in restaurant and other commercial soups that one taste leaves me feeling I could float my entire body in it as easily as I could in the Dead Sea!  Blecch! Pooey!!!  Tells me how far I have come in reducing my sodium intake and that makes me happy.  I have lost another inch around my waist in the last month but it is just a repositioning of the fat I still carry, not more weight loss!  haha GOOD THING after all the money I spent on that new wardrobe! hohoho!

Tomorrow is to be a dry day so I will attempt to mow the front yard again. I love the first mowing after the temperature begins its downward spiral.  The grass and leaves smell different in the fall.  The wasps are kind of lazy all ready and won't pose as much as a threat as they do in mid summer.  The mosquitoes are beginning to die off a bit as the nights get colder and if I wait until the sun is shining most everywhere in the front of the house they won't be much of a problem.

Then Friday we are on the road again for 2 days on ministry related business. Travelling so soon after the end of holidays will make us feel like we are still having holidays.  My husband is getting all prepared for his first Sunday services of the fall term and for the various conferences coming up after the middle of the month....again with the travelling. YAY!

I am very conscious these days of being highly blessed.  The snow is supposed to hold off until November and if that proves to be true, well, does life on the winter struck prairie get any better than that?

 

No comments: