We are visiting another town today for ministry purposes and it is a lovely day to do so. The last of the summer sun is shining down, there is a projected high of +24C and no rain forecast at home until Monday. While those rains may include some snow flurries, today I don't care. It is summery and I will enjoy it in the midst of the meetings.
When we arrived yesterday we had a couple of hours to spare and so my husband went shopping for shoes and sweaters and books and camp gear. This little place is amazingly well stocked and we were able to get here on back roads, rather than the usual knuckle whitening trip to the city on overcrowded 2 lane highways. This Archdeacon position does have its travel perks even if my husband is tied up in meetings most of the time.
A friend alerted me the other day to the fact that Jan Karon has just published a new book in the Father Tim series and I was pleased to be able to purchase it yesterday. By the time I, my husband and my parents have read it, it will be worth the cost and then some. Mom is thinking of passing on her series of the books to another friend and from there the books will be passed on to the friend's daughter and on it goes. One thing my family does well is book recycling. As soon as I am finished reading my present Canadian novel, "The Stone Diaries" by Carol Shields, (deserving winner of The Governor General's Award), I will start the new Karon book.
Had a terrific walk last night after dinner. For some reason there are fewer mosquitoes here, so few hours from home. I can't figure that out but I certainly did enjoy it last night. I could wander over the short trimmed grass in the park area and stir up very few of the little creatures. YES!!
So, off to prepare for more meetings this morning before the drive home. Hopefully we can be home by dinner as tonight I have to get the church bulletins done, songs picked and practised for both services in the morning and get the altar set up at the local church. None of it takes all that long, but I do want to be home in time to get to bed early tonight.
Here's to a pleasant "summer is nearly over, but not quite yet" kind of day!
No comments:
Post a Comment