Friday, August 27, 2021

Pretty Great For A Cold and Rainy Day!

 Days like this are a joy for me!  I woke up ahead of my alarm, after a decent night of sleep...thank you Lord and prayer warriors....and was ready in plenty of time for my walking partner to meet up for a visit.  It was raining far too hard to go walking, so we spent "only" 2 1/4 hours visiting. I learned about her most recent holiday and about the amazing online programme her recently graduated from high school son is going to be taking from a college on the west coast.  The time flew past so quickly, as it always does when we get together.  When I looked at my watch as she was leaving for work, I was shocked to see how long we had been talking!  It was a WONDERFUL time!

 

She brought us two jars of yummies from her recent summer canning project. One is a jar of swiss chard relish....absolutely fabulous!  It is not sour like most pickled relishes, but slightly sweet.  It went very well with the sausage I was eating at lunch time. She says it is delicious with turkey too. For dessert after lunch we each had a slice of bread with a teaspoon of her equally fabulous jam made from Russian haskap berries she recently picked in the Yukon.  AMAZING!  She got just the right blend of sugars and pectin to retain a bit of tartness from the berries. Instead of the usual disappointment with fruit jams of tasting only sugar and pectin, we can actually taste the true flavour of the berries....fantastic job my friend. Wow, we are going to enjoy these gifts!

After lunch I had a great chat with an out of province friend I haven't talked to in weeks.  It was good to get caught up on her life as well and hear how things are going in her town, a town we also used to live in.

I was greatly inspired by the sunshine that broke out about the time I was done on the phone, to get about cleaning the rest of this suite, so have just finished that task.  I do so love "CLEAN"!!  I don't know why some weeks I struggle with getting the housework done because I am always overjoyed to see the last of the dust and lint for a few days. 

I have an email from an out of town friend that I want to answer right away.  She is such a good friend and her emails are always so spiritually encouraging in the midst of the many medical issues she and her husband have been dealing with over the past three or four years.  We originally became friends when we lived in the same city and were introduced through a misunderstanding that I had about something I heard her say....not an auspicious beginning, but as I went through the process of approaching her to apologize for my stupidity, the situation was sorted out and a lovely friendship rose from the ashes of what could have been a broken, tense, unhappy situation.  I have always been so grateful to God for her graciousness toward me at that time and ever since.

My husband had his first follow up appointment this morning after his recent lab tests. Everything looks good so that is a relief.  He is still waiting to hear from the imaging clinic and I am wondering if he ever will.  They are impossible to talk to in person, but have not yet contacted him to set up an appointment nearly 2 weeks after the referral. Maybe he will hear from them next week???  Next on the list for us both is to make appointments with the eye doctor as soon as we return from the funeral next month.

Wow, the present sunshine is the best thing!  It isn't going to last long as thundershowers are predicted for later on today and tomorrow and possibly the day after that, so I am going to sit here at my computer, right by the window, throw it open and enjoy every bit of sunshine and warmer air I can get while I type a response to my friend!

No comments: