The City of Regina has just announced a nearly unanimous vote by city council to add fluoride to our drinking water. Sigh.....When I first read the news headline announcing this I almost started to panic wondering how soon this is going to happen, as I need to make plans to leave the city when it does. Unfortunately I am one of a very few folk who have a sensitivity to fluoride that leaves me drooling uncontrollably when I ingest it and covered head to toe in red rash when I shower in it. I was relieved to learn it will not be happening until 2025, when the new water treatment facility at Buffalo Pound is supposed to be completed. Whew and whew and whew! Who knows where I will be by 2025? I could be anywhere else in the world by then. I could be dead by then. It is four years up the road, so I know that I am safe to remain here until then. YAY!!! YAY!!
It has been a productive day around here. My husband took the vaccum to his upstairs office and cleaned everything in sight very thoroughly. He went to the basement and caulked around the places where dirt is sifting in around the fibreglass batting stuffed into the holes under the front of the building that sticks out over top of the basement foundation wall. He checked in on his brother in law, who is on his way to his son's destination wedding this weekend, and all is going pretty well with Raymond at the moment. Yay and Whew! He spent some time figuring out what happened to our computer back up battery after it went a little crazy on us the other day making wierd noises and shutting itself down. Conclusion: it needs replacing, but not for lack of trying on my husband's Mr. Fix It part to resurrect it. So on Monday we will trek about the city to find a new one. He decided to forego the drive today and fix up some of the drooping branches on some of our deck flowers. Now he is working on another cleaning project in the basement. The past two summers he has been too tired to do more than talk about doing anything much around here at all, so to see him starting to feel well during his holidays this year is very encouraging indeed.
While he was doing all this, I was making potato salad and ironing the mountain of clothes we managed to get dirty during our mere nine days away. A clean outfit each every day due to the heat we experienced meant a lot of laundry and ironing when we got home. Nice to have it all done now.
Finally received the agenda for tomorrow's church planning meeting. We read it over and had a quiet chuckle to ourselves. In nearly every previous church we have attended over the past twenty years or more, there has been a planning meeting with an agenda similar to this one and an outside facilitator to administer the various points we are going to cover. In every other church we have completed this exercise with, the gap between the hopes and dreams of the participants has far outweighed the reality of the situation of their churches and thus in the end, no progress was made as a result of their day long planning session. For my husband and I it would be easy to decide not to bother going, but perhaps, if nothing else, we can add a voice of reality occasionally during the various table discussions. The agenda seemed to be written a bit more pretentiously than others we have seen. For example, mid morning and mid afternoon breaks are not being called simply "fifteen minute break", but "Humanity Break to Tend to Needs as Chosen or Arisen". Sigh....is it just me or........???? What is it about me that has a desperate need to respond to that particular phrase by saying, "Hey, man, we get a pee break!! Isn't that special???" Of course I will say nothing of the kind anywhere but here in this post....I promise..... Yup, it will be interesting to see if this group of planners is any different than those in any of the other churches we have attended these sorts of meetings with. I am choosing to hold out hope for the best rather than the worst case scenario!!
Hmmmm.....3:30pm and all my work for the day is completed. Maybe I will treat myself to a bit of a book reading break or a look at a veterinary show on tv. Perhaps I will even have a nap. I am guessing by the absolute silence coming from the basement as of a couple of minutes ago that my husband has gone to sleep and is enjoying a lovely afternoon nap. Good on him....he has worked hard around here lately.
No comments:
Post a Comment