Sunday, August 22, 2021

That Was So Great, I Did It Again Today!

 This morning I received word that another friend had taken a tumble in her home and would be in need of temporary assistance in preparing meals. I am so sad for her as she is very elderly and while fortunate to survive the fall, she is going to be laid up for some time as she heals.

I think I am finally getting an answer to my prayers of the past few months to be able to be more helpful to people in a tangible, practical way. Right now that answer is to find people who need some meals prepared and do it for them. I spent the afternoon making paprika chicken, mushroom rice with corn and a hearty beef stew.

No, I am not tooting my own horn....please hear my heart:  I have been sitting in this suite feeling more useless to the rest of the population with every passing day and now I have a direct way to help people with some home cooked meals.  Making double sized meals for my husband and I, then sharing half with someone else is not that expensive and it gives me a sense of purpose I haven't had for a long time.  Please hear my delight in an answer to prayer, and don't take my explanations in this and the previous post the wrong way. Thank you, and no, I will not be blogging about every single opportunity that I have to cook for people.  I am just blown away at how wonderful this particular answer to prayer is turning out to be.  It is so great not to feel so useless right now.

Church online was good this morning.  We had a sermon about Psalm 8, the only psalm said directly TO God.  It is a reminder of how wonderful he is and how we can trust him because of who he is.  The music was really good again and it was nice to be able to sing along to a good variety of styles.  So grateful for how the leadership is addressing the music now that our beloved, long term music minister has retired.

My husband's digestion treatments are working well.  He felt so much better today than he has since starting them.  Yesterday was a little bit better than the day before and today was excellent.  He was working on some writing projects and doing a bit more work on the leaks in our basement as the rain came down for nearly ten straight hours today....just teeming all morning!  It is as cold as an autumn day outside right now and there is more rain in the form of thundershowers on the way soon.  Where was this marvellous rain in June and July when it would have done some good for the crops???  It has certainly been nice to not have to water all the plants on our deck the past few days.  

Tomorrow we will get busy getting follow up appointments made to continue the process of my husband's annual physical exam and track down why the medical office clerks have not yet set up an ultrasound appointment that was supposed to be set up early last week.  I am so tired of chasing down referral appointments that should have been made days, weeks or even months after the doctors have requested they be set up by their office staff and then the referral appointments don't happen.  It is exhausting having to advocate so hard for our own health these days.  I have had a lot of experience doing it in three different provinces now and so am used to it, but just once it would be wonderful if I could trust the medical system to actually work like it is supposed to.....I certainly am not alone in this.

We are about to embark on my husband's last ten day or so of holidays.  I am so sad that he has to go back to work.  I love having him here at home all the time and not rushing around getting sermons recorded and having meetings of all kinds about all manner of issues.  Call me selfish, but I am going to miss the freedom we have had for the past month to go anywhere or nowhere, do things or do nothing, OUR choice. 

No comments: