Thursday, February 5, 2015

A Day Off For Me

Today I am taking a day off from all the organizing, packing, fretting, freaking out, wondering, marvelling, phoning, emailing and other "stuff" involved in getting ready to move to a new city.

My husband has worked so hard and done so much of his own packing that it is going to be the easiest move ever in that regard, (and after nearly 20 moves in the past 14 years I am intensely grateful for his accomplishments on this one), but he is stressed out this week and kind of "antsy".  This new, more easily stressed husband of mine appeared about fifteen years ago in the midst of illness and problems.  My serene, relaxed husband was replaced by this jittery new person who worries too often and has trouble sleeping until problems are solved.  Occasionally I just need to get away from his stress in order to remain calm myself. He isn't always this way, but right how he is and I need a day off.  

So, after I got a new crown put on my tooth this morning, I came home with the idea of doing absolutely zero for the rest of the day...apart from my exercises, since diabetics rarely get a day off from that.  After my husband left for our other church town just before lunch, I felt myself relaxing.  I piddled around making a batch of stew for supper, got a chicken out to thaw for company coming for dinner the next 2 nights, watched TWO television programs, read and responded to emails BEFORE I did the lunch and cooking dishes, sang along with a worship CD and now I am blogging and preparing to read some more of the novel I mentioned in the previous post.  In other words I am having a totally relaxing, fun day all by myself.

It is starting to snow outside and apparently there is going to be a fair amount of it coming down in the next 48 hours, accompanied later this afternoon by very strong winds.  My poor husband will be driving home in those winds, probably through whiteout conditions.  I pray he can be on the road before it gets dark. Whiteouts are at least a bit easier to drive in during the daylight hours.  I hope the stew turns out well so that he has a relaxing hot meal ready for him to enjoy as soon as he walks in the door.

The smell of the stew is driving me crazy.  I am not a big fan of stew, but am learning more about how to season it more to my liking.  

The other smell that really got to me, in a good way, was my husband's Japanese milk tea that he had for breakfast today. O my, what a heavenly aroma.  When we lived in Tokyo I drank it every day.  I can't have it very often now, but it is such a treat the rare time I feel I can risk having a large mug full of it. Yum!

The local ministerial association members took my husband out for breakfast today to say good-bye, pray for him and wish him well.  It was such a nice thing to do. They were so encouraging to him that during his time here he has been a great boon to their group. He came home glowing and that was lovely to see.  Thanks so much guys.  You really made his day.

Well, time to go and do some more reading and see if I can find any redemption in this particular novel that has me rather irritated at the moment.  haha  I don't like to criticize any author, particularly not one as prolific as the one whose story I am reading today. Since I am not an author I can only imagine the time, preparation, creativity and endless rewrites that go into any book, so my hat is off to you sir even if I am not particularly enjoying this particular story.

No comments: