Monday, February 2, 2015

Oh How I Want To Believe!!!

Two of the three ground hog day reports I listened to this year made me happy. One did not.  Two predicted an early spring and one predicted more long winter ahead of us.

I never remember the idiotic names these poor creatures are given for the sake of the news reports, but I do love the reports from Balzac Bafflebum and Wired Wierd Willie (or whatever their names are).  An early spring is always a good thing to hope for, right? I am less stoked about the report of eastener Samsonite Sammy who predicts that spring is a long long way away.  Maybe it will be a long long way away the further east a person goes in the next couple of months, but for the prairies I am almost praying these cute little animal guys, Bafflebum and Willie, are correct in their predictions.  

Unusually for this area of the world, we have been teased and taunted by the tail ends of  chinook systems this winter, experienced  rises in hope and temperature followed by a plunge into despair and icy conditions, all within two or three days.  That isn't supposed to happen here, but happen it has ever since a few days after the first snow last autumn.

Snow makes our town far more attractive that it is during early spring and late fall...white is preferable to brown....unless it is covering black ice on the highway or is the downy white of slippery pavement frost on a warming day in winter.  I like to see the whole town looking sparkly on the cold days.  Sparkly is good.  It is the sort of thing that brings a smile and a chuckle when viewed from a warm car as it makes its way downtown.

My husband took advantage of our cold and snowy day to just stay home and work on packing and otherwise distributing his book collection.  I am so proud of him and so pleased he is going to have that much less now to be tossing wildly into boxes as the moving van pulls up to the door.  YAY!

No comments: