Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Sadness For the Prairie Arts Scene

Yesterday a fatal car accident ended the lives of four members of the prairie arts scene and a fifth unfortunate man as well.

Among the dead is the co-founder of Calgary's One Yellow Rabbit theatre company, Michael Green.  I have not seen nor spoken to Michael in about 30 years, but I do remember him.  When my first roommate and I moved into our first apartment in downtown Calgary, a grubby, low class, "furnished" arrangement in the highest crime area of the city, known by every cab driver in the area, Michael was the tennant who moved out just ahead of us.  He came to visit us several times and what I remember is that he had the best sense of humour...understated and absolutely hilarious.  He stopped by every so often for a visit over the subsequent 2 or 3 years and when he stopped coming by we really missed his kind and funny presence.  We ran into him sporadically over the next decade but by then we had all moved on to different circumstances.  I am so sad that he lost his life at age 58.  I am sad for all those who died and their families and colleagues.  It appears they are victims of the prairie weather and the havoc it was wreaking on the highways over the past couple of days.

Rest in peace Michael.  If I miss you after not seeing you in decades, I cannot imagine the grief of those who knew you well.

No comments: