The sun is shining today, taking the sting out of the sub-zero temperatures and the build up of snow overnight last night. In other words, a good day to make a few extra trips downtown to do errands and deliver several boxes and pieces of furniture to the thrift store.
All the arm lifts and swings I have been doing every evening with the 2 tins of olives is paying off. My husband could hardly believe how I could hoist the heavy boxes of thrift store items from the laundry room floor and carry them down the stairs to the garage. Since we stopped doing carpentry together so many years ago I have lost all my upper arm and body strength. With a better level of fitness some of it has returned and it paid off today. I filled the car with items and got them all out of the way of our packing boxes. We still have far too much "questionable as to actual need" items being packed up for moving, but at least not ALL the junk is accompanying us on this move. Sadly, I took down our Japanese curtain, the noren hanging in the doorway between the kitchen and laundry room and consigned it to a thrift store box. It has been with us for 14 years....time to let it go. There is nowhere to hang it in our new place without damaging the walls with a curtain rod screw.
My husband and a friend rolled all the change he has been dumping out of his wallet into cans for the last 8 years and I made a hefty bank deposit this afternoon. We will net a fair amount once again when we take the bottles and cans into recycling next week. I used some of my part of the savings to resend my son's Christmas parcel that got hung up in New York and was returned nearly 2 months later. This time it is to a different address and since I removed some of the weight it will not require his signature this time to be picked up. We shall see how it goes this time around.
When I was done my errands I picked up the mail. I noticed that one item was a charitable receipt from our former church in our former town of residence. The signature on the receipt belongs to a wonderful friend of ours and when I saw it, the realization that we are actually moving....and moving to a city only 40 minutes away from her and our other dear friends there....hit me at last. It hit me so hard my eyes filled with tears of gratitude that we are not once again having to start completely fresh, in a totally new place where we don't know anyone. Loneliness nearly does me in when it is ongoing and I have spent the majority of my time here recovering from broken bones and learning to manage chronic illnesses that have hindered me from finding more than a person or two to be close friends with.
NOW when people ask me if I am excited about our move I will be able to honestly say that I am. I am not sure why it has taken so long to feel happy about it, but as of today I truly am happy about it. Despite the lovely people we met here and the busyness of my husband's ministry, for me it has been a bit like Moses' wandering about in the wilderness, trusting God for the long term outcome but a bit confused about the purpose of each day. So much of my own ministry has been conducted "long distance" as it hasn't been needed or wanted here. So it has been a good place for me to regroup, to pray and seek the Lord, to allow Him to make changes in me that will hopefully springboard me into far more effective and accepted ministry once we are settled in our new digs. We shall see what the Lord has in store.
For now, I am just happy to feel happy!!
No comments:
Post a Comment