Saturday, February 21, 2015

A Few Shut Downs

It is that time in the steps of moving to a new place: time to shut the doors to each room as we have cleaned it out, to shut the lids on the last few boxes for the movers, time to shut down my husband's part of the parish work, time to shut down our internet connection until we arrive at our new home, time to shut down my home cooking operations and time to shut down the accompanying stresses associated with longer distance moves.

My husband has dealt better with this move than any previous moves.  He has utilized his time off and some of his evenings to actually sort his things and pack up. The last minute freak out that always happens as he realizes he forgot to pack one or two major items will be reduced greatly this time around. YAY!  He has only one more major project to complete for the parish before tomorrow and he will get that done fairly soon.

We have to load up the thrift store donations and deliver them this afternoon.  Tomorrow evening we will load up the car and see what we can cram into it so that we can have the other things properly set up for the movers to haul out on Monday.  Changes of address are in, bank accounts are closed out and as of today I have my stress related dizziness under control again. Time to shut down any residual stress that accompanies me on every move and just enjoy the time I have left here.

That blasted dizziness began about 15 years ago after a terrible viral infection that left me so dizzy I couldn't lift my head off the pillow.  I only vaguely remember my husband dragging me out of bed and carrying me on his back to the car, piggy backing me into the local medical clinic where I couldn't sit up long enough to have my blood pressure taken without passing out.  It was terrifying (and embarassing to be piggybacked while wearing my nightgown into a medical facility in full view of neighbours and other patients in our small town).  In less than 24 hours and with the wonderful medication Serc to help it pass, I was fine again but now any sort of flirting with ongoing stress brings it on again to some degree.  After intense prayer the other night the dizziness calmed right down. Last night it threatened to return, so I gave myself permission to shut down the moving process and get into bed at 8:30pm to read a cheap novel and stop thinking about moving.  I woke up  12 hours later, refreshed, NOT dizzy and feeling ready to tackle all we have to do today, but I am not starting anything until mid morning.  First I will shovel the new snowfall off the icy underbase, toss some ice melt willy nilly around the sidewalks and only then will I return to the packing up.

Shutting down the dizziness and stress first makes it easier to complete the packing and shut the lids on the last few boxes.

It will also help us get through our final Sunday of work here:  3 church services, 2 farewell potlucks and a partridge in a pear tree!

No comments: