Our neighbour once again dragged his snow remover across our sidewalk after I had all ready shovelled and once again left me with a thick, icy buildup to chip off in order to liberate my sidewalk.
So, after lunch I went out and did exactly that. When I was done I felt completely worn out and kind of "odd", for lack of a more descriptive word, but basically brushed off my boots at the front door and walked through the house to the garage by the back door, hopped into the car and headed out for a bit of retail therapy.
One thing my doctor told me over a year ago is that I should check my pulse every so often when exerting myself that strenuously, just because my age, family medical history, and my own chronic condition could set me up for a heart attack. For some reason I have never once followed her advice.
Today I remembered it after a racing trip through WallyWorld to pick up some new oven mitts (so CUTE with little owls drawn onto them) and a couple of new door mats for the suite, then a quick rush through the liquor store for some of my husband's favourite beer. As I drove back to the bank and pharmacy I realized I hadn't really gotten over the "odd" feeling I had after shovelling, so while I was at the pharmacy I checked my blood pressure. My BP was just fine, amazing and wonderful and in the optimal range. My PULSE however was frighteningly high! And this was almost an hour after I had finished shovelling.
No one was waiting to use the machine, so I sat there for a couple of minutes trying to calm myself. 2 minutes later I took the test again and my pulse had come down about 10 points but that was still too high. It took 6 minutes of me just sitting still and not thinking about anything for it to come back to the highest end of acceptable range and another 4 minutes for it to be anywhere near where it should be. Aiii yiiii.....
I don't even want to know what my pulse rate was immediately after shovelling. The shock could make me pass right out! O my....
I told my husband and he said that I am done shovelling for the next couple of weeks while we are getting ready to move. Even though he is not supposed to shovel, he will do it for me if we get the predicted snow on the weekend. He was most unimpressed with my numbers. So much for my idea that I can beat up that ice on the sidewalk and race about at top speed removing it. Guess it is a very good thing that there will be no shovelling for me to do when we get to the city. Drat....I like shovelling...but guess it doesn't like me as much. Rats......
No comments:
Post a Comment