Monday, February 9, 2015

Another Magical Snowy Evening

Tonight when I took the garbage bin to the curb it was snowing ever so lightly.  Since it was nearly 10pm it was also totally dark with only a few street lights shining. The snow looks so beautiful as the tiny flakes stream past the lights.  The air was misty and "thick" with frosty particles.  

Since it was too late to make noise shovelling, I took the broom out and swept a path up and down the sidewalk.  When it is so beautiful I just have to be out in it.  There was no wind at the time so the snow was falling gently and the cold air was nippy without being so bone chilling that it wasn't fun to be outside.  

When I dream of living somewhere that has no winter season, I have to admit how much I would miss experiences in the snow like I have had over the past week.  The snow is to turn to ice pellets sometime during the night tonight so will be interesting to see what that looks like in the morning.  I don't think it will be so wonderful in the daylight and it will make driving treacherous, but right now there are only a couple of centimeters of snow to contend with, clean and bright and fresh.

Tomorrow morning friends from Alberta are stopping by for a quick visit on their way eastward to Manitoba.  We are very excited to see them. Once we move we will no longer be on their path of travel to their families out there.  In the afternoon I am taking a former neighbour of mine out for tea. She is nearly 100 years old and, until recently, bright as a button but she is becoming forgetful and taking on worries.  I do want this final visit before we move away to leave her laughing.

My husband spent a productive day off from work by packing up his massive tea and spice collection.  He went through every package and every jar, combining, tossing out excess and really enjoying the process.  I can hardly believe all he accomplished today.  I was inspired.  I packed up almost all of the food in the storage cupboard and also packed most of my clothes, leaving  just enough in the closet for the next 2 weeks.

A week from today is possession day for the townhouse so I am praying for good roads and decent weather so the first trip to our new home is not a miserable experience.

Heard from yet another friend in the Regina area that she is very excited we are "coming back closer to us at last!!"  O it is going to be wonderful to have a home close to friends again.  We have moved so often I think I am seeking roots for the first time in my life.  Such relief that we are not going to a totally new area and having to start all over again.  

Well, better get some sleep so I can truly enjoy our social committments tomorrow.  Then the final push begins to complete all the details for work and packing up for the move. The guest room is officially closed and there is no extra food around for drop ins.  The freezer is nearly cleaned out and so is the refrigerator.   My husband has been warned that some of our meals over the next 2 weeks are going to be a bit odd as I try to use as much of our food as possible to avoid moving it all.

What a great day, ending out of doors in the lovely, gorgeous, amazing snowfall.

No comments: