Friday, November 23, 2012

I Am So Spoiled....and Loving It!

My husband is going crazy buying me things before Christmas.  He is not a big buyer of gifts and is not much into receiving them himself...gifting is not an issue nor a desire in his life apart from giving to various charities.

BUT today he went a little crazy on me.  A new top mattress for the bed has been needed for some time now but we haven't spent any money for anything large like that for ages.  Today he decided enough is enough and off we went to the furniture store.  Maybe my purchasing a little curio cabinet is what did it, what unleashed his latent urge to spend money.  Our local store has an excellent selection of mattresses and I got to pick out the one I liked best, the one that is firm enough for my back.  There was a sale.  By the time we left the store we had also purchased a new box spring.

Then it was on to the local computer store.  We have both lost patience with my computer.  It wasn't the best to start with and due to a problem with its "insides" we have not been able to add sufficient memory to properly download videos and tv shows without the whole system doing the herky jerky every 20 seconds of the watching process.......most frustrating. Some videos never were able to load.  I have lived with this situation fairly well but lately a lot of things about this old machine have been frustrating me.  Today my husband decided it was time for a different machine.....not the new Windows 8 because I don't need that kind of advanced system....not a laptop because I have no need of one.....but a much newer model than my present one and with a ton of memory.  Right now he is downloading all my files for the new machine.

When he proudly brought my  "new" computer into the house he also showed me the new battery backup system he purchased when I wasn't looking.  It is for some of the appliances I presently use that lose all their pre-programmed data if the power in our house blips out for even a split second....a common occurrence in rural areas it seems.  I am as excited about the battery backup as I am about the faster, more efficient computer.

And so, I have had my Christmas for this year........gift crazy is my husband this not quite holiday season.  I am happily in shock.  

When your spouse is not a giftie type of person it is as thrilling to hear him say he wants to do some shopping as it is to actually receive the resulting purchases.  Since he allowed me to get some pre-holiday season presents for him earlier this month in Vancouver, he decided it was my turn to receive...and receive....and receive......aiiiii yiiiiii...... 

Today was one of those rare days that are special because of their rarity.  It was a ton of fun. Being able to do our shopping locally from small proprietor owned businesses was an added bonus.

A month of shopping.....for us this is a big deal.  I can't remember how many years it has been since we did a shopping blow out for ourselves.  It is so easy to shop for other people, to surprise them with something they really want or need.  It is easy to make charitable donations and volunteer time to help other folk.  But shopping for ourselves, even things we need, has never been that special to us.  Today it was.  It was spontaneous.  It was unexpected.  

I am grateful. 

I am spoiled rotten!

2 comments:

chris e. said...

This is a recipe for a successful and happy marriage: Fear God and spoil your spouse!
Now, how do we parlay that into a 55,000 word self-help best seller?

Susan said...

Ooh, that we could figure out a way, eh?