Just read an archived news item from the Halloween edition of a newspaper published in a town I once lived in. hahaha The town is fairly small as evidenced by the front page main news item, complete with large font headline in dark ink: LOCAL CHILDREN CAUGHT THROWING PUMPKINS!!!
In a dark world of wars and rumours of wars, terrorism, sexual predators, drunk drivers, murder and general mayhem, an article about a group of 5 through 7 year olds throwing pumpkins at each other, not at cars nor houses nor other peoples' pampered pets, was the front page news event of the day.
I found it lovely. If I am going to continue to live in rural prairie lands I want to live in a town like that again. I want to live in a town that has so few crimes of note that these pumpkin tossing youngsters are the worst criminals of the newsday. The kids weren't even tossing pumpkins in an attempt to injure each other. They were simply watching the pumpkins hit the pavement to see whose could make the most satisfying and farthest reaching SPLLLLAAAAAAT. Their crime was making a public mess and not cleaning up after themselves.
Sometimes it is nice to step away from the vicious realities occurring in the rest of the world and enjoy a newpaper with a front page story like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment