Something I enjoy about anyone for who English is not a first language are the heroic attempts to make sense of and use my incredibly difficult native tongue. In particular I enjoy the Japanese attempts because they as a people are so incredibly sincere about wanting to learn and to use English properly. I love the Japanese people anyway, but their attempts at English, often with the use of electronic English dictionaries and thesaurus', cheer my heart even more.
Today I was looking around home for a new folder to put some banking papers in and my husband found one of our little zip folders from our Japanese life of a few years ago. The company is called JOYFUL IMPRESSION, which is stitched onto the side of the material on the outside of the folder. Under the company name is the logo: "We produce it for whole human beings".
Isn't that lovely?
I will look at it and smile everytime I use the folder.
1 comment:
Produce what for the whole human being???
DH and i both worked with a lot of English-is-a-DISTANT-second-language people and enjoyed it immensely. We learned so much about our own culture by seeing it through their eyes.
Post a Comment