Today an inconvenience turned into a confidence builder.
This week is one of those rare weeks where my husband and our car are both gone all day everyday for pretty much the entire week. It means I can't get to the stores I need to get to for groceries as they are too far away and the more expensive stores closer to home require at least a 10 block round trip walk on the icy streets. For someone recovering from a broken ankle as slowly as I am, the idea of such a venture is daunting to say the least.
However, I had a medical appointment downtown this morning and a short list of groceries that have reached the stage of critical need. No husband and no car meant I had to face a few fears and possibilities of falling, put on my good winter boots and head out on my own.
It was a slippery, terrifying, exhilarating, confidence building walk! Walking that slowly, duck walking at snail's pace across the icy intersections that put my heart in my stomach, has exhausted me completely but the joy is that I succeeded....not even a small slip underfoot.
I am excited, grateful, feeling more confident and less trapped in the house.
I need to remember today's lesson next time I am tempted to be bummed out by an apparent inconvenience.
No comments:
Post a Comment