Wednesday, April 8, 2026

Got Through It!

I am delighted that despite a nearly 2 hour wait to see the specialist today, my husband got through that wait and the appointment without rushing out ill before the appointment even happened. Thank you Lord!  About a half hour before we left to go to the clinic, I noticed my husband was turning pale again and he admitted he was starting to develop the initial  symptoms of the tummy attacks.  He drank a bottle of nearly freezing cold carbonated water as keeping cold seems to either heal these attacks or fend them off altogether if he can get the water down soon enough.  Yup, it did the trick, but we took another bottle of water and a freezer cold pack with us anyway. So grateful neither was needed.  

By the time the appointment was over my husband was feeling MUCH better and I am sure good news from the specialist, the best actually, was a large contributor to his change of both attitude and colour and symptoms.  He felt great, so we walked over to City Hall and purchased three packs of pre-paid downtown parking vouchers to try them out until we feel sufficiently ready to learn how to pay with our mobile phones.  hahaha  The vouchers are easy peasey to use. They are like lotto scratch tickets so I will have to carry coins in my wallet whenever I park downtown.  You simply scratch off the date, hour and minute of parking, and the year, detach the voucher and put it in the front window on the dashboard. If you think you are going to need the full two hours allowed you simply remove a second voucher, fill it in the same way and just move the time ahead by one hour then place it beside the first voucher on the dashboard.  It only takes a few seconds to do that.  City Hall has space for two or three cars to park for free for up to 15 minutes for people going inside to purchase the vouchers.  So, we now have 14 hours of pre-paid time left for downtown parking.

My husband was ravenous (of course he was....the stress of the appointment was not only over, but he got good news), so he decided we should try out the vouchers immediately.  Fancy Fork was on the way home, so there we went to have our lunch....at 2:30pm!  Thankfully I had chosen to eat a very late breakfast this morning just in case we got held up at the doctor's office, so I was well within my six hour maximum window between meals by the time we ate at the restaurant.  I made the mistake of ordering the beef dip....I say it was a mistake because it was so blasted tasty I used the fact that the whole wheat buns the meat was on were too fresh and soft to last if I took half the sandwich home,  to justify eating the entire sandwich.  Well...."only" about 4-5 carb units all at one time.  (I brought the side of fries home with me for another day.)  I had to exercise when I got home to try to wear some of those carbs off before they raised my blood sugar too much.  hahaha  The beef was delicious, not much fat and I didn't come across any gristly bits, the garlic mayo was not too strong and the fresh very thinly sliced onion slices were a nice addition. There could have been a bit more au jus, but that is a minor technicality. It was the most delicious beef dip I personally have ever eaten.  My husband had a cheese burger sandwich, without the cheese since he never eats beef and dairy together, but he got a good amount of lettuce and tomato,  a bit of strip bacon and the very delicious Caesar salad...dressing on the side to cut down his fat intake due to the two strips of bacon on the burger.  So, we both cheated just a little and enjoyed every mouthful of our most reasonably priced mid afternoon lunch.  I was so relieved my husband was feeling better and able to eat so well after living on grilled cheese sandwiches and plain pancakes for week that I nearly cried into my plate!!

Despite the temperature rising to a balmy -3C this afternoon the wind was bitterly cold all day. So the inch or so of snow hasn't really melted anywhere that car of foot traffic hasn't turned it to icky slush.  Maybe tomorrow we will see more sunshine and less wintery snowfall.  Maybe...   

No comments: