Friday, September 1, 2017

Canoe Widow Day 6

Today was kind of slow going, but a very good day with the good weather keeping my spirits up.  This morning I returned to the Big Book Sale and purchased another handful of so-so books, not sure any of them will be worth passing on to anyone I know, but it is very difficult to take a proper amount of time to check them out when confronted with tables filled with several thousand books and almost as many people grabbing and pushing.  I have almost a year's worth of bedtime reading between these books and the ones I haven't read yet from my Alberta friend's gifting back in June.

Other than cooking my lunch and doing dishes I attempted no housework projects today...o, except for a bit of ironing.  I have a sun dress I wore once and wrinkled badly but it can be worn easily a second time.  Yesterday I slopped food on myself both at lunch and dinner, ruining two clean shirts, so washed the stains out last night and ironed both tops today.  End of the daily housework chores!

This afternoon I had a nap.  Someone's car alarm system blasted me out of bed at 5:30am today, so I needed the rest.

My friend picked me up for an early dinner tonight.  We went to La Luna and it was a delicious meal, on the lower end of more expensive. My Athenian chicken, stuffed with mild feta, with roast potatoes, beets and turnip and sprinkled with a thin bechamel type of sauce was very tasty. There wasn't enough sauce to interfere with the flavours of the vegetables and the vegetables were perfectly cooked, not a mushy bit of anything anywhere.  The plating was attractive as everything was arranged on a schmear each of beet and turnip puree; very colourful.  It wasn't too much to eat at one sitting so I came away feeling full but not stuffed like I did last night. Whew!!!  My friend ordered the Greek fries and wow, they were amazing.  I just had to try one with the lemon sauce, crumbled feta and Greek herb mix.  The fries stayed crispy despite the lemon sauce. She also ordered some chicken wings that were battered and crispy.  Very tasty she said.  

After she dropped me off home I decided I didn't feel like hoofing it around the suite for an hour's worth of walking exercise, so I walked to the grocery store and picked up two small bags of necessities that we will need soon.  I bought them ahead of time because the sale prices were quite amazing.  It is a beautiful evening for a walk and there are fewer wasps once the sun starts to set....I need to put the light on over the kitchen sink shortly after 7pm now....sigh....o how I miss the bright, sunny summer evenings all ready!

Arrived home just in time to receive a phone call from some friends who have created some small couch quilts for us to use this winter when we are sitting watching tv.  I am quite excited....they have just started sewing various projects together for their friends to enjoy.  How kind of them to think of us. My husband nearly freezes in this suite in winter. His metabolism is so slow, once he gets cold he just stays that way. So, sitting down to work at the computer or watch tv is always a chilly time for him come December and January.  He will really enjoy his couch quilt!  The same friends sent us some knit toques a couple of years ago and my husband has one in particular he wears indoors on his cold, bald head. hahahaha  Thank you dear friends!

Hopefully I will have a bit longer sleep tonight. However, there is some kind of drum thumping concert happening, probably over at Mosaic Stadium, but the wind conditions are such that I am getting to hear it way over here.  I doubt it will end before the midnight noise curfew, maybe they even have an extention to 1am from the city.  Guess I may be napping again tomorrow afternoon after the street festival.

My husband will be home late tomorrow evening, but we have to be up early Sunday morning and at the Cathedral service before 9:30am to worship with that visiting bishop. I can't believe the service is that early....aiii yiiii....I don't think my husband realizes that.  I think I will be carrying most of the conversation from our side over the post church luncheon and on the drive to the airport while he zones out. hahahahaha So much for his full week off.  His "long weekend" now consists of Saturday as he returns from canoeing and Monday when he will likely collapse for the entire day. Then it is back to work on Tuesday and that is it for days off for a very long time.

No comments: