My husband put in another one of those 12 hour work days yesterday due to having a dinner/evening meeting after office hours. That will pretty much be the norm until after the Synod in October, so we have finally made the adjustment. In any job there are periods of time when things are frantic and too busy. My husband is handling it all much better since he had his week away in a canoe.
As interruptions, disruptions and unexpected problems needing immediate resolution continue to arise on a daily basis in the office, yesterday was just so typical of the kinds of things that go on. It is all so ludicrous a person never knows whether to laugh or cry.
Yesterday's litany of extras for my husband to solve became really crazy in the course of a few hours. A leak was discovered in the plumbing that shut down all the bathrooms on the second and third floors of the building and meant the immediate tossing out of rolls and rolls of toilet paper, as well as cleaning up mess right away. There was so much else going on there wasn't even time to call the plumber until this morning. Some of the computers crashed and had to be diagnosed and reset. The CFO lost his voice mail service on his phone and required immediate assistance to get it up and running again. Water was discovered leaking into the basement from somewhere up above, hopefully related to the all ready established plumbing leak and not a completely different problem. The number of "I need help and I need it now" phone calls seemed to triple over a regular day. The renovation contractor got called away and my husband had to leave the office for a couple of hours to go to the hardware store to purchase some items immediately required to complete some of the work. As a former contractor himself all those sorts of "SURPRISE!!" shopping trips land in his lap because he is the one who knows what to purchase/how to do the installations etc. He not only had to establish how he was going to attempt to still fulfill his own day's goals for work, but had to spend a fair amount of time coming up with projects to keep the overseas volunteer busy. What a crazy day...BUT it is so typical. At least he was able to get to an out of town meeting in the afternoon that he was actually supposed to attend!
I am so grateful my husband can handle days like that, since most of them ARE like that, and handle them with such grace. The canoe trip really saved him this year and re-energized him. It is going to be a tough slog between now and the end of Synod but we are both grateful to God that my husband has narrowly escaped a chronic fatigue episode and seems to be rallying, seems to be coping better again with the constant stresses. We were both worried for a few weeks, but the crisis seems to have passed now. Hallelujah!!
His office is still one royal mess since moving into it just before he left on his trip, so Sunday evening we are going to slip over to the office together and finish filing, shelving books and cleaning up the rest of the disarray. We are going to hang up his certificates and diplomas and hang his favourite photo of Moraine Lake and the surrounding mountain scenery. Yesterday he admitted he really needs "a bit of the mountains in my work place!"
My day was a direct contrast to his! A friend from church came for morning tea and stayed for 3 hours of chatting. It was wonderful. The time flew by way too fast. She is a super person and I feel honoured that she seems to enjoy spending time together. Her life is incredibly busy, but we hope to get together again for another round of visiting at some point. Thank you Lord...I needed that!
A cheque we have been waiting for arrived yesterday so I was able to get to the bank and deal with that. I got a pile of other paper work taken care of as well. I cooked a fabulous dinner to make up for some lazy meals my husband has faced recently, not knowing he had a dinner meeting at work because it got missed on the calendar, BUT I had a wonderful dinner myself and there is more than enough left for our dinner tonight, saving me one cooking operation this week. YAY!! One less day to have to be creative in the kitchen is a good thing right now!
We enjoyed watching the finale episode of The Amazing Race Canada and a boxing match that was a short bout and an incredibly energetic fight, while we ate snacks and debriefed about our day. I am grateful we had some time to spend together.
I am counting down the days until the lectures on Galatians on Saturday. O how I am looking forward to that! I have not been able to get a ride to Moose Jaw, BUT my husband is on his way to Swift Current for a day of Pre-Synod meetings and can drop me off and pick me up in the course of his own travels. YAY!! So, it is all good!
Housework today I suppose....IF I can get back to sleep for awhile! Awake at 3am, now it is just after 4am. The weather is beginning its march toward autumn as of last evening.....cooling off, getting dark much earlier....it will take my body a good week to catch up with these changes and then I will be able to sleep again. This is the pattern every seasonal change, every year of my life. At least it is familiar.
Yawn....better go give that sleeping thing another shot.........
No comments:
Post a Comment