Friday, September 22, 2017

The Day is Starting Off Well....If a Bit Too Early

Welcome Happy Morning, as the old hymn goes.  My morning began just after 4:30am.  I woke up for no good reason, then realized my husband was also awake, so we had a chat for a half hour before both of us tried to get to sleep again.  My husband succeeded, but I didn't.  

I stayed awake partly because I began reading a tiny but most interesting book by Wheaton College and Durham University graduate, Dr. Wesley Hill.  The book is a short reflection, but a deep one, on his struggles as a homosexual Christian who believes that God requires chastity and friendship for his homosexual followers, rather than sexual fulfillment in a gay human relationship.  His theololgical argument is about the most sound one I have come across.  It is a lonely journey, but as he says, it is an equally lonely journey for heterosexual people who end up going through life without a partner, or who find themselves in a marriage that is less than what it should be.  However, they are not always battling the stigmas related to being gay. Reading about his struggles, his failures and also his successes in embracing a celibate lifestyle, in being lonely and how he relates so much to the writings of other homosexual Christians such as Henri Nouwen and Gerard Manley Hopkins, was very encouraging to me as well.  Although I have not had to struggle to process something as confusing as homosexuality, when he writes about incidents in his life such as being in the midst of his friends, partying, feasting and being included in their celebrations, yet still feeling like he is standing outside the building looking in through the window at everyone else's fun, I can identify all too well.  So many of his own struggles to be a part of the Christian church, although also influenced by the struggles and stigma of homosexuality, are common to many of the rest of us.  You certainly do not have to be gay or lesbian to get a tremendous amount of understanding and encouragment from Dr. Hill's first book: Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality.  It may even give you more compassion for those who struggle all their lives to fit into being disciples of Christ while acknowledging their sexual attractions are not considered "the norm" for God's people.  In October I am going to be attending a day long seminar Dr. Hill is presenting and hope to read his second book before I go.

By 7:30am my husband and I were both up and bustling about getting ready to go over to the breakfast buffet at The Fairmont, meeting up with the 3 Kenyan Anglicans my husband was busy entertaining yesterday.  They are representing the Council of Anglican Provinces of Africa. Canon Grace is a lovely man with a huge smile and a predilection to laughter at every opportunity.  His co-workers are a huggy bunch with similar huge smiles.  If the breakfast was less than wonderful, and honestly, how good are most "breakfast included" hotel restaurants, right(?), the visit was completely wonderful.  I warn you now, family and friends, do not be surprised if sometime next year we up and head for 2 months in Kenya on a pastoral exchange.  Nothing arranged just yet, but, I'm just sayin'........the possibility is there........

It is very cold outside now after what we have become used to over the summer.  After breakfast my husband dropped me off at the grocery store before he drove back to work.  The temperature was +6C.  I was wearing a sleeveless turtle necked top under a long sleeved, scoop necked shirt, long heavy pants and a light rain coat, shoes and socks.  I am very glad I had to purchase sufficient amounts of groceries that I required a bag for each hand to carry them home. Lifting that amount of weight, even for the short 3 blocks home, and walking as quickly as I could, I still got a chill walking back to the suite.  Brrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!  By the time my husband gets home this evening to get ready for our dinner out it will probably be pouring rain.  Brrrrrrrrrr!!!  I am glad we live so very close to the restaurant and not that much farther away from Conexus Centre where the comedy night is happening.  We had originally planned to walk, but I think we will just wimp out and drive!!  Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

The last of my summer clothes will be washed and packed away by tomorrow, including my sandals and summer purses.  When the end of summer came, it came quickly. Wow, it is going to take some time to adjust!

No comments: