Sunday, September 10, 2017

I Survived Today's Queen City Marathon and I Wasn't Even Running!!

Each year about this time, Regina has an amazing marathon run going on.  This year I completely forgot about it, paid no attention to advertising regarding the run events, street closures, etc. Subsequently I didn't book myself a hotel room last night in the far north east end of the city so I could get some sleep last night by escaping the middle of the night preparation noise.

Although I am unable to participate as a runner, I am still a participant, albeit a somewhat unwilling one. My participation is thrust upon me actually.  The run begins and ends in the park across the street from my home.  At approximately 3:30am the preparations begin for closing off streets for the 7am start up, as well as setting up medical and rehydration stations across the street for the marathoners who pass right by our place.  I thought it might be a bit quieter this year because the port-a-potties were installed directly across the street at the park entrance yesterday all ready.  However, no such luck.

This morning at 3:36am some bright light from the planning committee decided it would be a great idea to stand in the middle of the street immediately outside my open bedroom window and find out if the emergency sirens for the event were working.  Sigh.......the test only lasted a few seconds, but that was almost the end of my night's sleep.  I nearly hit the ceiling, the siren was so loud!!  Talk about being startled awake, eh? hahaha

At about 4pm a couple of fellows arrived in a truck to set up some of the blockades to keep the traffic out of the running lanes on the road.  They shouted back and forth to each other for over 15 minutes, although they were never more than 2 or 3 feet away from each other, and I know this because I was standing at the bedroom window by this time looking out to see what all the hollering and the metallic slamming of equipment was about.  I was asleep again by 5pm and managed to sleep the better part of an hour...until the drums for the day's performing band began thrumming and didn't stop until sometime after 2pm.  Closing the windows at 8am to keep the day's heat out didn't stop the "boom diddy boom boom crash, crash, bash!!!!!" from disturbing our ears, thoughts and peace of mind until I happily left for choir practise at 2pm and my husband departed shortly thereafter with his colleagues for their 2 day staff retreat out of town.

Next year I will try to divorce myself from whatever autumn time stresses and distractions are happening in my husband's life, long enough to track the date for the marathon, so I can book us a hotel elsewhere in the city and avoid the ruined night of sleep. My husband had a wonderful sleep down in the quiet of our basement as it was too hot for him to stay upstairs in the bedroom.

Don't misunderstand.  I am not feeling the least bit curmudgeonly about the Queen City Marathon. I think it is a great event and am thrilled for Regina that thousands of people participate, I just can't handle the accompanying nighttime noise....my own problem, not theirs. Besides, it is only once a year....for one night.

In other news:
--my friends in Florida have not obeyed the mandatory evacuation order for their area.  I am shocked and very, very worried.  While they may not be in the hardest hit area of the state for wind damage, they are close enough to the water that I am terrified of storm surges.  I should go and put on the tv right now to check Hurricane Irma's progress through Florida, but I am kind of afraid to know the details as they pertain to my friends.  I do understand their reasons for staying, I truly do, but I can't help being concerned.

--choir is going to be a ton of fun this year, I can tell.  We have gained a significant number of new members, so now only the bass section is lacking in numbers.  I hope and pray we can get some more of those dear men to join us and very soon.

--I am so at peace since making the decision to put my time and energy into my own health recovery and in providing more support for my husband's ministry than I have been what with involvements in my own church.  That has to be the grace of God because I was so enjoying my most recent involvement and it wasn't an easy decision to give it up.  The inner peace though is certainly something I haven't had in quite awhile and with the decisions my husband may have to make about some things over the next year, MY being at peace all ready can only be a good thing.

--last night's low temperature of a warm +14C should be the last one that is so warm for a very long time....like next spring and summer!  The forecast shows, at last, a significant cooling in our daytime and nighttime temperatures over this next week or two.  I am relieved. The temperatures are still going to be above seasonal for awhile, which is just fine with me, but I may be finally able to close a few windows during the night and sleep a bit better than I have been lately with them all having to be open.  Our bedroom windows are only single pane, so closing them only takes an edge off the outside noise, but it is better than no relief at all.

Have a good weekend upcoming, everyone! I certainly plan to!

No comments: