Saturday, September 9, 2017

Good Systems

I enjoy creating/figuring out systems; all kinds of systems.  When I worked for a provincial telephone company years ago, that was a good part of my position there after I graduated from giving out phone numbers for the directory assistance department. Creating a more workable system when I worked in a pharmacy was successful and although it was short term employment it felt good to be able to leave with a better system in place for some of the employees than they had used previously.

Although it has been a very long time since I have worked outside my home, it always amazes me how many little systems can be put together and utilized to make life run more smoothly.  Simple things like meal planning and grocery shopping on particular weekly or monthly schedules, knowing when to open and shut windows and blinds in both warm and cold weather, using certain days to scan flyers for coupons and sales each week, organizing laundry and cooking days every month.....it sounds kind of silly to be thinking about and preparing such small systems around the house, but that extra degree of organization keeps a person active both mentally and physically, as well as providing a solid amount of efficiency in living life.  Most of my "home chores" are slotted in around my need for regular meal times and exercising for a good hour after every meal.  Sometimes the home chores are sufficiently active to replace stretching, walking and aerobic exericises and creates some variety in my schedule.  

I think my love of living life through a series of systems is why mess and clutter around the house annoy me so much.  It takes only a few seconds to return something to its rightful place rather than leaving it lying around looking untidy.  The garbage bin is a great receptacle for many an item that doesn't seem to have a place anywhere else!

As I raced about today I got to thinking about how much more I enjoy my life when there is order instead of chaos, activity instead of slothfulness and organizational systems instead of daily life happening willy-nilly with no apparent reason behind anything. 

But, that's me...........

No comments: