I did not go to the street fair this morning because I woke up with my sinuses all "schnozzled up" and decided if I am coming down with a cold it would be preferable not to spread it around, particularly to the newly arrived Japanese exchange student. I was hoping it might just be some kind of weird allergy, but when it hadn't cleared by 10am I thought I should probably go to the walk-in clinic for a new sinus spray prescription. I assumed I had lots of time to do an "away from home" chore and be back in plenty of time for my husband's call from Missinipe, letting me know the canoes were safely out of the water and returned to the rental and that the guys were about to leave for the long drive home.
Of course, when I got home there was a message on our answering service, originating from the SAT phone the guys fortunately have with them for "emergencies only!!". So, I knew right away something had happened. I listened to the message and the first words my husband spoke were, "We are all okay, but we are delayed by half a day. I have to go now and contact the canoe rental shop, but we will still be leaving for home SOMETIME on Saturday NIGHT."
So, obviously something has happened that will upset all us wives to some extent when we find out what it is! I hope and pray it wasn't my husband getting sick from something he ate and everyone having to wait for him to be well enough to carry on, but he said "WE are all okay", leading me to believe whatever happened involved more than one person in the group.
He wasn't scheduled to arrive home before 10-11pm tonight as it was. If he doesn't get home until the middle of the night, how on earth is he going to be able to get to the Cathedral service at 9am tomorrow and squire the visiting bishop and his wife around and get them to the airport on time? Sigh.....my poor husband....and this is how his "long weekend" is turning out, right before the next couple of months that all ready leave him with very few days off in total. The only consolation is that every one of the other full time staff in the office are just as overburdened and overworked as he is. He is not alone. Lord, something has to 'give' in this diocese....whadda ya' say? These people need a lot more help and more money to hire it!!
I have decided I will make a list of possible restaurants to take our visitors to tomorrow. With their tight schedule to get to the airport after lunch I need to be certain that we choose a restaurant somewhere close to the Cathedral or airport that is actually open on Sundays. Then they can choose what kind of food they prefer and we can head over there immediately after the service. I can do the driving and carry a lot of the conversation if my husband is too much of a zombie to do his part fully. Doing the research will be a good way for me to deal with my own stress about what has happened to the canoeists.
I am hanging onto the idea that everyone on the canoe trip is indeed okay. I feel so badly for all of them. My husband is not the only one that has big committments tomorrow. Well, I can only hope that the first part of the trip was amazing and wonderful.
No comments:
Post a Comment