Monday, September 11, 2017

Tornadoes, Autumn, Wardrobes, etc.........

The news from my friends' city of residence in Florida was not very positive this morning.  There apparently was a tornado there yesterday and if there are severe storm surges in Jacksonville, just to the north of them, I am betting my friends' city is also getting flooded.  It is difficult to relax with all this going on in my friends' lives.  The first time ever I have wished I was on FaceBook....but I assume the power is out in their area as it is in most other badly hit cities and towns.  Continuing to pray....

After having only one day of severe forest fire smoke blowing through our city, this afternoon it has returned with a vengeance.  The sky doesn't appear all that smokey, but the smell....ooooh, the smell is so strong.  I was at the bank all morning and didn't get home in time to close the windows before the smoke invaded our suite, so now my chest is aching and I am coughing again.  I assume now that the windows are closed I will cope better very soon with the reaction.  I am blessed that my asthma has been so much better in recent years. When I think of other, more severe reactions I have had to forest fire smoke in the past, I want to jump up and down and shout "HALLELUJAH!!!" that a tight chest is so far the worst problem I am experiencing this time around, plus this is only the second time my reaction has even been this bad.  Not sure of the origin of today's smoggy skies.  The wind has shifted to the south west....could it be smoke all the way from the Waterton area fires in BC/AB or is there a fire burning south of us that I am unaware of?  

Looking at our weather forecast for the next two weeks has me starting to sort out my summer wardrobe and preparing the autumn outfits that are worn in that limbo time between extreme summer and the first snowfall.  Today as I was ironing the weekend's  laundry I started piling up a few items I doubt it will be warm enough to wear any more after today's final warm day....at least it is SUPPOSED to be the final day of our more extreme heat. (But have I not thought that before in recent days?) There may even be some rain showers later this week.  Last evening it did cool off to the point where I had to close all the windows for the entire night (and I slept fantastically well due to the reduction of street noise).  There are a few pair of heavier capri pants and summer dresses that are not specifically thin cotton sundresses that I will try to wear one more time before retiring them to the seasonal bins for the winter.  My husband dragged the bins up for me the other day so I could check out what I have for winter clothes and see if I need to purchase anything new.  Yippee, I don't have to purchase one thing beyond a black winter dress coat.  Finding one around here that is an actual dress coat and not some kind of puffy parka style is likely to be difficult if I want something under a thousand dollars, but I am going to look very hard this year.  I don't know why they are so very hard to find here outside of very expensive boutique specialty stores....and we seem to have very few of those either!  Last year I couldn't even find a proper dress coat at the Bay.  I don't want to go to Alberta to somewhere like Holt-Refrew and pay those prices just so I don't have to look like some kind of bumpkin everywhere I go all winter. Usually it is fine, but when we go to special church services and for dinners in more upscale venues the puffy navy parka look just doesn't cut it for me. Maybe it is something to do with my older generation, but to me getting dressed up a bit more when appropriate still means something.

Got a most positive and encouraging email from my son this morning.  At a weekend gallery party where he works, his new work colleagues and boss were apparently very impressed that he is already personally aquainted with many of their well known artist guests, teehee.  His stature in the tight heirarchy of his jobsite has risen dramatically since last week. hahaha  Although his position is presently bottom rung, he is being taken much more seriously after receiving public kudos for his own art from so many the artists on the guest list.  I am very happy for him.  He is loving life once again.

My husband is going to be home from the office staff retreat earlier than I expected, so I guess I should go right away and look for some kind of interesting new recipe for chicken for tonight's dinner.  We are both tired of the same old things, missing eating more fatty beef and pork, so I need to be creative when my tired out husband comes home.  If he had to give up his days off this week to attend the mandatory retreat, then the least I can do is greet him with something particularly tasty for his dinner tonight. Wish me luck...... 

No comments: