I caved in this morning and put the furnace on for awhile to warm the suite up. O my, it was SO COLD in here when I woke up I could hardly believe it. Only about a month or so ago, it was +41C and now we are barely cracking the double digits for day time highs. I am not complaining....too many places in Alberta saw several inches of snow today. Unbelieveable weather for prior to mid-September! My husband's sister is in the middle of a huge lawn and garden project at her home in central Alberta and this weather could not have hit on a worse day as she has equipment rented and a crew set to complete the project tomorrow. Good grief!! Hoping the snow hasn't scotched the entire effort!
This morning a friend came over for tea and some veggie snacks. We shared such a happy conversation. Slowly I am ferreting out some of the most lovely people in this city. It is quite a treat! Glad I finally got to it!!
I was hoping I would get a call this afternoon that my new glasses are finally ready, but counting the Labour Day Monday closure, it is really only two weeks since the order was sent in. If I hear nothing by this Monday I am going to call and ensure the order was actually placed. After the last screw up I am feeling a bit leery about this whole situation!
Several happy text messages arrived for me today from my husband and also from my son. My husband is getting good comments from the clergy he is responsible to teach Bible lessons to this week and that is boosting his flagging energies considerably. Teaching the Bible is his best and most apparent calling in life and he has had to compromise that calling for too long now. What a blessing that he has been so buoyed up by doing the daily Bible study with these amazing clergy at their clericus. I am excited that he is coming home tomorrow for about a day and a half before heading out once again. At least we will have a few hours together in between getting his laundry done for next week's trip and getting his Sunday sermon prepared for the two parishes he is officiating at this weekend. Then Sunday afternoon he is barely home after the services before he leaves again for another week. I am so grateful I have choir and book club and Old Testament discussion group this coming week to fill the lonely evening hours.
A good friend has exchanged one music committment for another. It was such fun to read today how well she did with her new music group and how excited she is to return for next week's rehearsal. Her enthusiasm boosted my own for my choir practise on this chilly, dreary evening.
Choir was SUCH fun tonight. Wow, we worked for awhile on our Sunday anthem and then we moved on to other music before I was ready! hahaha I will REALLY need that pre-service practise on Sunday morning to secure in my head the proper notes! The music is pretty easy, but I am SO terribly rusty it isn't funny. I am losing my ability to hear the notes ahead of singing them. The ability to automatically hear thirds and fifths as I am sight reading the notes is deserting me, but I think continued practise will restore that old ability once again...hopefully at least! haha There is another new gal and she had fun as well. We have many common life experiences, likes and dislikes, so despite our huge age difference we had a good conversation. We both hated going to Sunday School as kids, we both struggled to figure out what we wanted to do when we grew up and like me, she still isn't sure after 15 years in the Wonderful World of Work after university. She has even been to Japan teaching English, just like me! hahaha
I saw and talked to DeeDee today. She had a positive session with her surgeon and oncologist this afternoon. She will have one more consultation with the surgeon on Monday and then the surgical removal of her tumour will be scheduled. Apparently she has caught this symptom very, very early and so has the option of a lumpectomy, or a mastectomy if she would prefer to cut her risk of recurrence by another 10%. She is opting for the lumpectomy because she feels that at her age she is willing to take the risk for less pain and problems in the here and now. So, thank you from her to all of you who are praying as you read this report.
Tonight, just before our choir rehearsal started, pastor Joel stopped in to say hello to us all and let us know he is on the road to recovery. It was so good to see him looking healthier than he has in several months. No wonder he has been so pale and lacking in energy leading up to his hospital stay: pulmonary embolism..horrors. We are all grateful he is still with us and getting medical help. Again, he is very, very grateful for all the prayers on his behalf.
My son is getting down to the wire with packing for his overseas trip. He leaves on Sunday and will be gone for two and half weeks, arriving back in NYC a few days before Canadian Thanksgiving. His dad and I will definitely be giving thanks that weekend for his safe return. He is working hard to figure out how to pack and carry the art supplies he needs to do the project in Milan in ways that will be acceptable to the security laws for airline travel. So, we are praying he gets it right and has no problems getting his art supplies all the way to Paris and then on to Milan. He sent us his flight schedules tonight and we do appreciate that very much. Hopefully all flights will be on time. Praying he and all the others in his group remain healthy for the duration of the trip.
Tomorrow is lunch with another friend. Prior to and after that, I am going to try to balance myself on a stool securely enough to take down the clothing storage bins with my winter clothes from way up at the top of our shelving units in the basement. The hassle is that they are large and heavy and I am not that steady with my balance....not sure if it is wise or not, but if I make an attempt and it appears foolish, I will have to find something else to fill my day with tomorrow other than unpacking winter clothes and packing up summer outfits.
I finished this evening the novel my tomorrow's lunch pal lent me nearly two weeks ago. There is a ton of description in it and it was heavy ploughing, but I did enjoy it. The book is "The Stone Diaries" by Carol Shields. I remember mentioning to my friend that I enjoy Margaret Atwood, so I suspect her ability to get lost in descriptive passages similarly to Shields, but even more so, is why my friend lent me this book. Fun to have a book friend again!
Another colleague of my husband's is arriving at the airport tomorrow night from BC about the same time my husband is arriving from Toronto, so I am going to drive her home as well. I haven't seen her in over a month, so it will be great fun to find out how her trip to the west coast went. Hopefully neither of their flights will be too delayed. My husband will be ravenous for dinner as soon as his plane lands so I hope he doesn't have to wait for her flight to arrive or he will be buying a sub at Subway and then regretting it later, hahaha.
I think I may just have another decent sleep tonight despite still having only summer nightwear. I have a very warm sweater on and my Japanese tabi socks, so I should be warm enough to rest properly. haha I look like a bag lady in this getup, but it works.
Nighty night.....
No comments:
Post a Comment