Came home from another excellent church service to a phone message from dad. Mom collapsed in the kitchen this morning and at 9:30am was on her way to hospital by ambulance. Dad thought for certain she had died.
Fortunately the EMS folk did not permit my elderly, somewhat disabled Dad to accompany them and mom to the hospital. They told him to stay at home and wait for a call once mom had seen a specialist and had some test results. Poor dad...he was pretty shaken up when I called him after church.
It has been 6 hours now and the hospital hasn't called, but wonderful friends of my parents went over to the hospital about an hour ago to see what is going on. Mom is in a bed in emergency and is conscious and sitting up. She is groggy and has exceptionally high blood pressure, but was able to talk coherently to her company. Once the test results come in and the doctors decide if she has had a heart attack, (there was some atrial fibrillation going on when the paramedics came with the ambulance), they will call dad. I am SO grateful for those friends who took it upon themselves to find out if Mom was even still alive and let Dad know she is conscious and now just waiting for proper help. I am also very grateful for another of Dad's church friends who came over as soon as she heard the news and helped Dad get some tea and lunch. I don't know when I have ever heard the poor man so shaken.
In the middle of all this my unsuspecting husband arrived home from his two rural church services. He rushed in rather stressed because he'd had to stop in Regina at a car wash first and wash the incredibly thick, quick hardening mud off our car after a night of rain turned the country roads into slippery muck! I hope he doesn't get indigestion from the lunch he crammed down in between trying to help me get more information about my mom, packing the rest of his clothes etc. for his clergy retreat in Saskatoon and helping me plan how and where I could come to pick him up in S'toon if my mom should pass away while he is gone. He was riding up there with the bishop to leave the car for me and we ran about five different scenarios as to what the best way would be for both of us to get to Calgary if the worst happens.
Poor Dad, poor husband, and especially poor Mom. Her biggest upset, if she is okay and comes home in a few days, will be that the rest of us are so worried about her.
So, I hope and pray she will be okay and that whatever caused this will be diagnosed and dealt with. I am used to living crisis to crisis with Dad after over 40 years of it, but adding Mom into that mix is going to be very difficult to cope with, especially for Dad. I am going to see them in October and I can only pray my presence will not be required before then, that Mom will be okay.
Thank you for your prayers. At the ages of 90 and 91, the loss of either or both of my parents will not be a huge surprise I suppose. Doesn't make it any easier in some ways. If Mom dies first my Dad will be at a complete loss. Aiiii yiii...really having to trust God for the outworking of the rest of their lives.
2 comments:
Praying my dear friend!! May God give you wisdom and peace. Praying for God's direction for the medical team and for your Dad.
Thank you Susan. So much appreciated. Nothing that happens is completely unexpected with parents in their 90's but it still isn't fun to consider the worst case scenario. Bless you for caring.
Post a Comment