Another happy Sunday is underway! Our church choir did a fairly decent job of our simple hymn anthem and the sermon on the first chapter of the Book of Ruth was interesting...it seems every minister I hear talking about that little book gives me new ideas about its importance and about what it says to us about God.
My husband was too exhausted to come with me this morning, after having a very busy week and, as I suspected would happen, having to work for several hours after all yesterday. I think he is fighting a cold or a mild case of influenza as he has terrible muscle aches and pains, can't stay awake and his stomach is kind of queasy. Hopefully he will feel better by tomorrow as we have some errands to run, a bank appointment and other household "stuff" that he needs to participate in. We are both hoping that Tuesday will be free of work invasions and any other committments apart from the very enjoyable OT discussion group in the evening. He needs one morning to sleep in and not have to think about anything at all once he wakes up. Today he woke up planning tomorrow's errands when really he needed to just relax.
He decided I need a break from the inside of this suite after a typical Saturday at home yesterday. Considering how miserable he is feeling today, it was incredibly sweet of him to want to take me out for lunch. We went to Original Joe's where the food was wonderful as always, but the service was extremely sub par...at least at our table. O well, that is the first time in many visits there that we have been so ignored by the wait staff. There could be a lot of reasons for it. Since I waited such a long time to eat lunch today because of staying way too long at coffee hour after church, I suspect I noticed the less than stellar service more than I would have otherwise. I arrived at the restaurant very hungry and was so glad I ate a peanut butter cooking at the coffee hour fellowship, or I would have passed out from low blood sugar by the time lunch arrived at the table.
Now it is late afternoon and my husband is asleep on the sofa in the living room. The good breakfast style meal settled well in his stomach and he is sleeping soundly with the tv on mute. hahaha If I shut it off, the beeping sound it makes will wake him so I will just let it play.
My walk to church this morning was the chilliest thus far in the autumn, so I walked quickly and took every possible shortcut! My nearly 35 minute walk to church took only 20 minutes, so I must have been moving quickly and efficiently. haha I wore my faux-sheepskin lined, tan coloured jacket that I picked up last week at the new Salvation Army thrift store on the east side. It is a lovely store, larger and brighter than the one at their northside location. My winter coat is knee length and navy blue and certainly looks odd with my casual brown jeans and pants. Nice to have a choice of longer coat or jacket now. I was grateful for it during my cold walk to the service. Coming home the temperature had warmed suffiently to lower the zipper half way, but it was still breezy and cool. So thankful for my $19 special! Bless you Salvation Army. We decided that if unemployment is staring us in the face it is time to return to our old "times of poverty" habit of shopping for clothes in the thrift stores first, before checking out the new items in the retail stores...not that we need much right now, but it seems only responsible to make the switch for necessities. Not looking forward to a return to that way of thinking and purchasing, but wow, it really is a savings if you can manage multiple trips to the thrift shop in order to wait for just the right item in the right condition. Time will tell if this is going to have to our mode of shopping once again, but at least we are mentally prepared for it.
Our son returns from Italy in three days' time. We haven't heard from him since he landed in Rome, but likely it is because the friend whose computer he was borrowing to send us photos and brief information did not accompany the rest of the group on this final leg of the journey. Hopefully his own phone will be filled with photos to share with us. What a shock it may be to return home to his usual life after such an amazing trip abroad. Happy landings son!!
Looking forward to a good week. Although there is no choir practise or choir at the Thanksgiving Sunday service due to the many absences that weekend, there is book club mid-week. I am looking forward to that. Hopefully the books we ordered will have arrived by then and we can start the novel component of our gathering. If not, we will have another short Bible study and prayer time. What a nice group of ladies I find myself in.
It is setting up to be a good week, despite the forecast for snow in a couple of days' time.
No comments:
Post a Comment