After purchasing 52 books at the Big Book Sale at the end of August, I thought I would have a most leisurely year reading through them. hohoho!
So far I have read exactly one of the books I purchased at that sale. Shortly after my buying spree I had a most interesting biography recommended to me, "Educated", by Tara Westover. It sounded so interesting that I went out and bought my own copy. I enjoyed reading it very much, but was so enthralled by the story that I cheated on my reading times and got behind on my weekly Old Testament assignment, finishing up this week's selections just in time for the discussion group meeting last Tuesday. hahaha
Then on Wednesday evening I went to my first book club meeting. At the end of the meeting the group decided to order copies of Brennan Manning's "Ragamuffin Gospel" as our term reading project. My thought was that it was a relief that I won't have that book in my hands for a week or so because it will give me time to stay up to date with the OT readings and start another of the Big Book Sale novels as my before bed relax time. Yeah....not so much, as it turns out.
When my husband returned the other night from clergy conference, he brought me an over 600 page book to supplement my understanding of the Old Testament scripture passages. Sigh.... Once again my novels have been scrapped and replaced by the reading of this wonderful book from my husband, "A History of the Jews", by Paul Johnson. While it is an older book, published first in 1985, it is an easy read, interesting and follows along exactly with our OT reading plan. I have been reading it in the afternoons, before bed, and in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.
What a hoot! A swack load of novels are stacked around my bedside table, my Bible is carried around the suite with me so I can sit down between tasks and read one of the assigned passages, now I am also engrossed in the history book and our book club selection will soon be in my hands as well. Aiiii yiiiii.....
I am just waiting for the nighttime dreams to begin where all the story lines of the various books turn into an intertwined mumbo jumbo in my exhausted brain. hahahaha
No comments:
Post a Comment