Wednesday, September 5, 2018

A Total WHEE Kind of Day!

I am flying pretty high right now on my daily emotional roller coaster ride!  It has been a day filled with good things, a welcome break from most days of the past couple of weeks, and I am beyond grateful for today's good blessings.  Unlike some people I have no problems with the idea that I am a sinner in total need of God's compassion, forgiveness and grace, so that makes blessings like today's extra special to receive.  When you know you don't really deserve them, it makes the receiving of them all the more wonderful.

The sun has shone all day.  It is warm without being "summer hot".  There is only a slight breeze.  The insects seem to have died down a bit, the wasps are getting lazy all ready in preparation for winter hibernation.  Walking today was most pleasant and it was lovely to see the leaves still mostly green on the trees, with only a few water starved branches sporting yellowish leaves.

The tire pressure in our car's rear tire was definitely down from the pressure my husband gauged after filling it up with air last night at the gas station.  However, it hadn't dropped enough to trigger the automatic message system, so the icon wasn't lit up on my dashboard while I drove to and from the dentist.  My husband was going to call our favourite tire store from his office today and make an appointment for me to take the car in tomorrow to either patch the tire, or purchase a new one.  So tomorrow may be another day of "adventures in driving around Regina" for me.

I got to the dentist's office in plenty of time this morning and got into the hygienist's chair well before my scheduled appointment time.  It was a hoot.  The blessing for me was that even when the cold water sprayed up onto my teeth, I had no pain or discomfort from even the most sensitive of them.  I hope I was an equal blessing to the hygienist, who is freaking out about early onset menopause and its symptoms.  I hope I was able to calm her down about the whole process.  The poor woman is terrified of hot flashes and mood swings and all the lovely possible symptoms accompanying that time of life.  All I could tell her was to remember, no matter how bad it may get, this too shall pass and life will be wonderful once again and not to go into it expecting the worst.  Poor thing.......she is only 37 and freaking out all ready because of what an older friend of hers is going through.  So, it was a good morning for us both...hopefully anyway. haha

After my lunch I headed to the bone specialist's office.  I dropped off my husband's library book back at the downtown branch on the way and also returned to the bank to see if my service charges for August had finally been posted. They had been and I was also able to see an electronic image of the cheque I wrote that caused the problem.  Turns out it was, as I suspected, my own fault it was cashed out too soon: I had been writing two different cheques one day and accidentally put the same date on both of them.  Well, that solves that mystery.  The great news is that I was only charged for an "over the limit" fee plus interest and I was only charged for one day instead of the two I was expecting. Total cost to me: $5.55. Total cost to my landlord: $0!!!  FANTASTIC!  Our good reputation with the landlord here has not been tarnished. Thank you Lord!  I am liking this old age thing that is buying us some discounts on all service charges at our bank.  

I actually got into the bone specialist ON TIME.  I have never had that experience in that very busy man's office. Usually he is close to an hour late seeing me.  It was the most encouraging appointment.  Central Alberta Imaging sent him all my previous bone densitometry results so that he could track what has been happening over the past 18 years since my diagnosis.  It was so fascinating to see it all laid out and see how my density had fallen and risen and fallen and risen depending on the meds I had to use between various test times.  

The SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS news is that my bone density has risen by 7%!!!  RISEN mind you: 7%!  SEVEN PERCENT!!!  To those of you who don't have osteoporosis, I realize that sounds like a rather low percentage, but those of you who do suffer from this crappy disease will know what a marvellous result that is.  

I am walking on air.  This was quite unexpected as the only meds that have worked for me since I started down this treatment path are the ones that I had to stop taking because the allergy I experienced to them nearly killed me.  After I stopped taking those my density plummeted to a frighteningly low level.  My new injection meds seem to be working well.  So, I will continue on with them until my next bone densitometry in two years' time.  I should all ready praying my results won't start flatlining or dropping again at that time, but for now I am going to REJOICE in this near miracle!  Since the "only" side effect I have experienced from these drugs is a spike in cholesterol, I will happily continue taking my statins so that I can continue to take the osteoporosis injections.  As much as I don't want to take statins, a person sometimes has to seek a balance between two evils in order to maintain or improve quality of life.  In my case it is to stop taking the injections so I can go off the statins and risk more serious spontaneous spinal and other bone fractures in order to avoid the side effects from longer term statin use, or I can stay on the injections along with the statins and continue to have a decent quality of life for a few more years by not having to be terrified of experiencing fractures every time I have to stand up and walk anywhere.  There is no perfect decision, no perfect scenario, but I am trying to do the best I can.  

As much as I would love to take my husband out for dinner tonight to celebrate my unexpectedly great news, he has to return to work right after dinner for an evening meeting, so I will spring a dinner out on him tomorrow night.  For today, I settled on buying myself a teeny square of brownie from the Naked Bean on my way home from the doctor's office. hahaha  Sugar and cholesterol run amok in such desserts, but today I don't care.  I am flying high and want to celebrate!

Came home to an email from my walking buddy who is going to have time to go for a stroll next week one day.  I am so happy about that. She is a great friend who I have come to appreciate very, very much.  She is a special kind of younger person who doesn't seem to see or mind the vast difference in our ages.  That is special to me.  It is a grace from God.


Another friend has just been diagnosed as being in a pre-diabetic condition. He would like to have a chat with me about what he can do for diet and exercise to keep from crossing over that line in his life.  I pray that the information I have can help him.  He is a good guy who doesn't need to have to worry about diabetes!!  

So, a good day and it isn't even 5pm yet.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but for now I am going to enjoy my WHEE day happiness to the fullest!

Thank you friends and family for your prayers and caring concern of late.  As far as the emotional roller coaster, this too shall pass as some of the personal stresses I am not free to blog about are taken care of.

 

2 comments:

SusanE said...

Such awesome news!! Praying about the unblogged stresses too😉
Blessings and enjoy your night!

Susan said...

Thanks Susan! Hope you have an enjoyable weekend. Hope your hubby is settling into his new job and enjoying it.