Tuesday, September 18, 2018

My New Glasses....The Continuing Saga

I woke up this morning with full on autumn onset allergies.  My throat was full and scratchy, my sinuses were aching and my ancient face was swollen all over. I finally learned, after years of suffering and having those fall allergies weaken my system sufficiently to morph into an actual cold, to start popping Claritin immediately and continue the treatment for  a couple of weeks.  Day One's Claritin has therefore been "popped"!

Walking downtown for my haircut was relaxing.  It was only +5C outside, but there was only a slight breeze and it felt somewhat warmer than the still air temperature, so we should easily hit our predicted high of +12C.

Scuffing along the residential streets through the hundreds of fallen leaves is always kind of fun.  The yellows are SO bright this year.  Wow, the ground looks like a neon yellow carpet where the leaves have piled up under some of the huge overhanging branches of the trees.  I so enjoyed the walk in both directions.  

I checked the bus stops between home and my new church as I walked along to see if there is any closer stop I could get off at on Sunday mornings when it is bitterly cold and my husband needs the car for his own ministry.  Didn't find any stops closer to the one where I all ready get off the bus, so will have to bundle up warmly on the coldest days and enjoy/endure the four block walk from the nearest stop.  At least leaving home the bus stops right outside my front door so I won't be overly chilled before the ride downtown. What a blessing that stop is.

After my haircut....thank you Danielle at Chatters Cornwall Centre for your excellent work every time I come in for an appointment.....I wandered a couple of blocks over the FYI Doctors to see if there was any chance the glasses I had to re-order nearly three weeks ago had come in and I just hadn't heard about it yet.  Well.........hahahahahaha.  Is God testing MY patience or the patience of the FYI Doctors' staff and outside lab techs? hahahahahahaha  Yes, my glasses had arrived back last Thursday.  When the technicians at FYI Doctors took them out of the package they discovered a deep scratch in one of the lenses, so back to the lab my glasses went for a THIRD attempt to get them right.  hahahahaha  The poor harried girl I talked to assured me it won't be more than a week more before they are finished, returned and ready for pick up.  All I could do was leave and have a good laugh over this ludicrous situation.  As my husband is fond of saying, "Only to you does this sort of thing happen, over and over and over again!"  I don't know now whether to enforce my usual "Three strikes, you're out!" policy if these is yet another screw up next week.  Would it be worth the hassle of not only having to get a refund for myself plus reimbursing our insurance company so I could get a copy of the prescription and start this ordering process at another vendor...in which case it could be a month before the insurance company received their reimbursement and then at least one involved phone call between myself and their representative explaining what happened and asking that their newly reimbursed money be sent now to the new vendor......OR should I just continue to send this phantom pair of new glasses back and forth until everyone involved in their creation gets it right?  In light of what all else is going on with these poor turkeys, I have not bothered to mention that the colour of the frames they sent me originally is not the colour I ordered!  hahahahahahaha  Although I am feeling somewhat annoyed, on the other hand it is kind of a hoot waiting to see what happens next.  This whole process has definitely reached "ludicrous speed"!!! hahahaha

Thankfully interest rates at the banks are still so low that having to pay in advance a month ago or more now for my new glasses is not really costing me much in terms of the minimal interest I would have received had this few hundred dollars been sitting in the savings account for the past month.  hahaha

Some friends from Alberta who have just completed about a four month trip across Canada and posted the most fabulous blogs about their adventures, are now home and I have to admit I am selfishly happy they are back and we can be in closer contact with each other once again.  They are such good friends and we miss them.  She was a huge support to me for the last couple of years that we lived in Alberta, prior to moving to Tokyo, when life was extremely tough and I was in such desperate need of a good friend.  He is one of my husband's favourite hiking buddies and he missed their usual spring trip to the mountains this year. Welcome home friends....we loved the blogs, but we sure missed knowing you were right across the provincial border from us all those months. 

Now I need to go and dig out one of my husband's good commentaries on 1 and 2 Chronicles so I can have at least some information at my fingertips for OT discussion group this evening. I still have a bit of reading to complete for this week's chat and I want to familiarize myself with what is in the commentary.  We will be missing both our OT experts this week! Thank goodness my husband will be back for the next couple of weeks' meetings.  And then our fearless leader will be back from her trip to Norway and things will get back to normal.

Have a great day everyone.

2 comments:

Jo Anne said...

Thank you for the kind words Sue. As you know, you two are very special to us as well. I miss you and Doug misses hiking wth Dell, terribly. I'm happy that you followed our travel blog. Your encouraging comments helped motivate me to write and publish our adventures during our travels. Your blog is what gave me the idea to do one of our own. You set an example and a high bar, my friend. You are such a descriptive writer, I loved today's quote, "Scuffing along....". So visual that I felt I was there with you.

Love Jo

Susan said...

I'm afraid this blog is not at all what I originally intended it to be, but my family, bless them, are more interested in more of a daily diary of my life than anything else of more interest, so I plod along with this blogging thing. It has helped me be in better touch with some family members of my mom's, so it is worth some of the more monotonous posts for that reason. Some day I will write what I really want to write...maybe....haha. Glad you are able to enjoy it.