The rain began at about 5am today, now it is after 8am and the rain is still falling in a light but steady stream. So far the basement foundation repairs are holding. So far there is not a drop of water appearing on the walls or floor down there. So far.....
When I woke up at 6am (and thank you to whoever prayed about my sleeping patterns because last night's rest was long and refreshing) the outside temperature was only +5C. It has now risen to +9C, but I am debating with myself over whether or not I should turn on the furnace to warm this place up. I think I will pass for today as there is no point in running up the power bill unnecessarily. I am wearing a long sleeved blouse and sweater, warm heavy cotton pants and thick socks. That should do for now.
I am having company in for tea tomorrow morning so will warm up the downstairs this morning by putting on the oven to bake a banana strawberry loaf for us to enjoy with our tea.
Old Testament discussion group last evening got derailed for most of an hour while some church memories were shared by the other members of the group. I am glad of it because it gave me some of the more recent history of the congregation and leadership, their joys and struggles. Some things I didn't understand are now clear to me. We didn't use that discussion as an excuse to fudge on the OT time though. We still spent a good hour or more talking about some of our questions and observations from 2Samuel and1Chronicles, with their relevant Psalms. What a frightening, fascinating, confusing, intense culture those ancient warriors experienced. Yet, God was was at work in their midst. It gives me great hope regarding the work of God in our own society and our painful, mixed up, still warring world at large. Our leader will be overseas for the next few weeks, so for the next three weeks the discussion will take place here at my place. Hopefully my husband will be okay with that when he finally gets home from all his travels and clericus meetings. I suspect he will be thrilled actually. He LOVES having Bible groups in our home at pretty much any time.
Today I have the entire day spreading out before me with no particular plans. It feels good. I want to do some house cleaning on the main floor and I want to try to complete reading a novel borrowed from a friend so I can return it to her when we go out for lunch on Friday. "Friend"...I have a new appreciation for that word and that relationship after too many years of feeling/being socially isolated.
I tried, really I did, to watch The Shape of Water yesterday afternoon. The opening scenes were horrible and quite unnecessary to see, so I fast forwarded through them. The story itself was ridiculous, the "bad guy" like a cartoon caricature. From what I gathered as I sped through on the fast forward setting more than at the normal speed for viewing, the movie "blessed" its viewing audience with everything from scenes of full frontal nudity, to masturbation, to horrific bloody gore and violence, to a full on sex scene, to sexual harrassment in the work place, to racism and sexism, to bestiality to gruesome death throes. Due to my own personal world view I found the whole thing disgusting and disturbing with not much to redeem it. Its purported theme of acceptance for one and all...oh....except for people who don't go along with your desires to do whatever you want, whenever you want and with whoever you want, so it is okay for them to be killed off, hopefully in a terrifying and painful way.....interspersed with caricature roles and preachy dialogue....did not serve its intended purpose for me personally. The 40 minutes I spent sifting through it in hopes of finding reasons for all the hoopla that attended its release and subsequent Oscar nominations, is 40 minutes I will never get back. Sigh.... NO offense intended to anyone who did enjoy this movie, because if you saw something redeemable in it that I missed due to all the fast forwarding, I admire you and applaud you! (No sarcasm, I am totally serious about that.)
Okay, time to get that oven on and get moving around to warm up. Sitting for more than 10 minutes at a time is not going to work for me today! BRRRRRRR!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment