Friday, March 13, 2020

And So The Menagerie Grows!

This afternoon my husband called me to the kitchen window and pointed out a gopher in the process of crawling out from under our porch steps.  I am NOT a gopher fan, but honestly, this little fellow (or gal), now to be known officially as "It", is the chubbiest cheeked, brightest eyed, roundest barrel-tummied wee gopher I have ever seen in my life.  It is absolutely adorable and has obviously either found or had winter-stashed a magnificent food source.  This one makes all the obese cartoon gophers look completely emaciated!  Despite the weight, It's spindly, short legs carried It very quickly across the lawn away from us when we went out on the porch to take a closer look. hahahaha  I am not reporting It's presence to the lawn maintenance department.  The worst damage It can do is create a few holes under the porches and along the foundations.  The maintenance staff will find It eventually if It hangs around very long.  

So in the past week the mice have been removed and blocked from further intrusion into our suite, the rat traps outside have been emptied and are vacant for the time being, the rabbits have removed themselves to less icy grazing grounds at the park across the street and there are only three geese about.  Guess there is always room for one more pest around here. hahahahahahaha  It has no competition for space or food source at our complex for now. Aiii yiiii...........

There is a wonderful sunshiny sky outside.  Unfortunately the temperature has dropped about 20 degrees in the past two days, so the sunshine is deceptive.  It is not a nice day outside. The breeze is bitterly cold and we are expecting snow tomorrow.  By the middle of next week we should be back in the -3C to +3C daytime highs, thank goodness.

This afternoon we received a notice of the temporary closure of our favourite art gallery in response to the COVID19 outbreak.  We received a notice from the head of the chain of grocery stores we most often frequent advising us of new hygiene practises required of all staff member and letting us know that phone or online ordering has had the delivery charges suspended for the duration of the COVID19 scare.  Tomorrow morning my husband and I are going to pick up a couple of protein items to get us through if going into self-isolation occurs for us.  

Considering the number of people who die every year from cases of various types of influenza, I am finding the response to this new virus a bit over the top.  "Flattening the envelope" approach to slow the spread of the virus is a good idea, but at what point is enough more than enough or just far too much.  I don't know.  My husband and I both have compromised immune systems, so we are trying to take some preventative precautions, but we don't want to give in to unnecessary paranoia.

My biggest fear, to be blunt, is that our favourite ethnic restaurants will be forced to close....yes, I am serious!  As crazy as that sounds, the idea that I could be stuck here making bean soup and meting out bits of bassa fish for several weeks in a row, or months even, makes me want to gag!  We haven't eaten out much lately, but knowing we can is what keeps me going when I have to continue to cook our boring, somewhat tasteless daily fare, me not being much of a cook if I am being totally honest.  It is a psychological "thing" for me.  I have had it my entire life.  As long as there is a restaurant open somewhere to give me a break out of the house, I can cope with life and with eating my own cooking most of the time.  Yes, I know...nuts!  This woman is completely nuts!  So be it.

My husband brought home some of his home made bean chili that was left over after his retreat earlier this week and we will have some of that for dinner.  I ate my own home made soup every day for 5 days in a row so am ready for a change of meal.  There is some cooked chicken I can add to the bean chili to make it more palatable for myself.  Maybe I can have a slice of cheese toast with it for interest.  There is sufficient chili to have another meal of it for us both tomorrow.  Oooh goody...more beans and lentils.....o Lord, how I detest beans and lentils....BUT I am eating them more often as they are dirt cheap compared to chicken and beef.  My egg intake has increased and so has my low fat cheese....I don't like either of those things, but they have protein.  Yippee....she said in a phony voice reeking of pseudo cheer.

Anyway, we will see how this response to the COVID19 virus turns out over the coming days and how it may effect our trip to Alberta to get my mother moved to her new suite.  If it messes that up I think my mother will have a combined nervous breakdown and heart attack....o please Lord, grant her (and ourselves) grace to get the job done!  Thank you and AMEN! 

 

No comments: