Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Stop the World! I Want To Get Off!!!!

I am hanging onto my last nerve as best I can over the COVID-19 related closures and hygiene edicts, social spacing etc.  Aiiii yiiiii.....I think I would be less stressed if it wasn't for the position my son is in down the States.  He is living surrounded by chaos, confusion, simmering maliciousness, the threat of violence and no federal plan for each state to organize itself around.  As he says, "People don't live in New York City because they want to stay home!"  He will be financially okay for the month of April, but May is going to be a nightmare barring the intervention of God...something God has made a habit of in his life the same way He has in our lives, so I am managing not to worry unduly  yet about that problem.  I am more concerned about what he is facing from certain portions of the population, particularly in his neighbourhood filled with a particularly volatile cultural group.   So, again, we pray and trust the Lord for his safety.

The hair salon that confirmed my tomorrow's appointment with me yesterday just phoned again to confirm they will actually be closing at the end of business hours today.  It makes total sense.  A stylist and client are breathing in each other's faces for the entire procedure.  I am glad they are taking things seriously.  I guess I can spend my spare time finding new ways to style this overly long mop of elderly woman hair. Thank you Jesus for curling irons!!!  Now, Lord, if you could improve my skill with that iron...just the bittiest bit...okay?

There has been a never ending stream of emails from various businesses, church groups and restaurants we frequent advising us of the ceasing of their activities effective immediately.  As of Friday all the schools will be closed, likely until the start of the next term in September.  University and other classes that can be done online are making that switch as quickly as they can.  Pools, arenas, theatres, choirs, the symphony orchestra, churches and other public places are all closed now.  My husband will miss going to the libraries, that is for sure.  For now we still have transit service, but not sure for how long. Some doctors are closing their offices and doing online diagnoses, dentists have been advised to perform emergency work only.  I am proud of our province for being so pro-active and trying to keep everyone safe instead of waiting until one of our present presumptive cases of COVID-19 becomes confirmed as our province's first case of the actual viral infection.  It is mostly the economic fallout that frightens me, to be honest.  So many people are going to be like my son: one month without work may be okay, but after that it is going to be a disaster.

My sister-in-law put some things into perspective when she wrote to me this morning.  As she mentioned, our parents and grandparents went to off to fight in global wars.  At this point, on the prairies, all we are being asked to do is to stay at home and sit on the sofa watching Netflix!  Thank you Lord!

Yesterday we had a rather long appointment at the bank, trying to figure out what we are going to do if we lose any more monthly income due to repercussions from COVID-19.  It was kind of a depressing appointment, so we decided we were going to make one final restaurant visit in honour of an upcoming birthday and anniversary, by which time it is likely most all the restaurants will be either open only for take out or closed all together.  We went to the Knotted Thistle pub for Guiness burgers and club house sandwiches and had a fantastic time. There were only two other customers there, kind of typical for a Monday anyway, so we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly having a private celebration of our lives thus far.  It was a LOT of fun!

This morning I went banking and grocery shopping. The grocery I went to was busier than usual for a Tuesday morning, but hardly crowded.  There were only a few gaps in product on the shelves, so that was nice.  In Canada we have a lot of product stored in the various grocery chain warehouses, so it will take some time to become seriously short of food and other supplies.  I am grateful for that.  By the time I arrived home I had sanitized my hands three times and then they were washed twice within the first ten minutes of arriving back at our suite.  I am doing my due diligence!  This afternoon four of my prayer group ladies are meeting together.  We all have hand sanitizer and the spacious living room we meet in will afford us the opportunity to practise social distancing.  

My husband will begin the process today of contacting the leasing agent for our units and finding out if we are going to be able to keep our rent credit or whether we are going to have to prepare for a move the first of June....if we are all still under the threat of COVID-19, we won't be able to move!  Aaaaaargh....how does this all work, right???  hahaha SO, I am praying very hard that we can stay here for another year.  Once the ban on travel is lifted and people can move about normally again we have to get to Calgary to move my mom.  That may not happen for another three or more months, so wow....life is SO interesting. 

Some days it is a bit too interesting for this old woman! Hahaha!

2 comments:

Jo Anne said...

I can understand your concern for your son, as he is in the US, where they didn't take this seriously soon enough. Plus, the administration is inexperienced. The good thing is that New York State has Governor Cuomo, who has taken the bull by the horns and is making some sound decisions for his people. He would sure make a great President!

PS: Just stating my opinion, based on what I have witnessed. Sorry if anyone takes this as being a political.

Susan said...

I hope Governor Cuomo can get the permission he needs from the President to implement his excellent ideas! Don’t worry about sounding political as that is where the possible assistance lies forvhs all.