I started looking back at some of my postings from around this time last year and discovered the same hassle with insomnia had been occuring then as well....and the year before that! As I scrolled through some of the posts I remembered what part of the problem had been: not enough physical exercise in the great outdoors! Waltzing around the living room figure 8 arrangement for an hour or more each day after meals just doesn't work over the many continuous months of icy winter weather when I can't get outside. (Yes, I could go to the walking track but I used to do that when we lived in Kindersley and it nearly sent me nuts walking around and around and around with complete strangers all around me locked into the same holding pattern...no, I don't know why.)
So today I donned my leather spring jacket, boots and gloves and headed off after lunch on foot to the grocery store for a couple of things. Oooooh, it felt MARVELLOUS to be outside walking after feeling so housebound since last November when the first of the ice covered the streets and sidewalks here. The grocery store is only about three blocks away if I take the shortest route, so I decided to do that so I could check out the ice melt conditions, puddles, work my hip hardware slowly back into the change of pace, etc. I ambled along slowly, not enjoying the very cold breeze that is signalling a downturn by tomorrow in the temperature, but reveling in the contrastingly warm sun and relatively dry sidewalks and roads. SO WONDERFUL! I wandered up and down every aisle in the grocery store, not really seeing what was on the shelves, just trying to figure out the longest possible route for going home. Once I figured that out I paid for my purchases and away I went. Along the route I came across a neighbourhood library box and found three novels that look somewhat hopeful for a good reading once I am finished with my present rather depressing one about a woman reacting to being divorced....if you ever WANT to become severely depressed just let me know and I will pass the book on to you.
It was so difficult to have to admit that I really did have to complete my walk and go home. I had run out of route! One of my neighbours from the building next to mine was outside. We haven't seen each other for a chat since last fall sometime, so it was certainly fun to get caught up.
For someone who is so tired, today is certainly turning out well. YAY!!
3 comments:
I have been out 3 days a week at lunch the last few weeks, logging about 3 km each time. Feels great to get moving again!
So glad you have had a good day after all and managed to get out for a stroll
I am thrilled you are able to get out and power walk at lunch. So good for your health and mobility! Way to go!
Post a Comment