Aiii Yiiii....Sunday morning was really crazy!
Although the neighbours were quite quiet over the early morning for a change, my husband and I were both awake too early for our own good. I was so exhausted I had almost decided to miss church for a second week in a row, but then remembered that a wonderful 15 year old piano student, who is completing his Grade Ten piano certification, was going to provide special music that I wanted to hear. I also didn't want to miss our class on Job a second time.
Out into the VERY cold weather my husband and I drove. He dropped me at church as usual and headed out of town to his parish. Surprisingly the sidewalks around the church had not been swept nor shovelled, so the pastor gave me a big stiff bristled broom and I set to doing it. The snow was so heavy and wet, although less than 5cm in depth, that it took me forever to do about half the job before my energy ran out and it was time for the Job class. I assumed one of the regular fellows would arrive soon to finish up, but none of them did. There was still snow where I had not broomed when church was over. O well, it wasn't that slippery to walk on.
In class I had nothing intelligent to contribute. In fact I could hardly stay awake, despite the class being so interesting. O well......I made it through without saying anything silly, or really much of anything at all and headed into the sanctuary to await the church service.
A few minutes before it began I texted my husband so he would find a message on his phone after his own service letting him know there was no coffee hour at my church for me to wait for him at before we went home, but instead there was a fund raising luncheon for our church camp. I knew he had no time to stay for the meal as he had to pick me up and get us home quickly so he could be ready for his ride to the retreat house in the afternoon.
Before the service began a very elderly fellow sitting in front of me began telling me the story of his life. He went on and on for about fifteen minutes, talking around and over two other ladies who had come to sit in the pews beside us. I thought that when the pianist I had been waiting to hear began playing the prelude music my dear old fellow would cease talking, but he didn't. The pianist was doing a masterful job of Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C Sharp Minor, a favourite of mine. It is rather loud, but the fellow talking to me continued on even though I signalled him that I could no longer hear what he was saying. Sigh....missed enjoying the Rachmaninoff, but I knew the pianist had two more wonderful numbers coming up, one during the offering time and also the postlude.
A few minutes after the sermon began...about 45 minutes prior to the end of the service.....I received a text from my husband. It is a good thing my purse happened to be open when he texted because I saw the green light blinking to let me know there was a message. My husband said he was all ready on his way back to town and to meet him outside my church in a half hour. A half hour??? All ready??? Wha??
I dutifully left my pew, coat in hand, as soon as the sermon ended so I could meet my husband, completely missing the other two piano pieces I had been so looking forward to hearing! I thought something must be wrong for my husband to have left his parish so early....bad roads to navigate? Some kind of unexpected health crisis forcing my husband to leave for home the very second his own service ended? WHA????
Outside I went and a couple of minutes later my husband screeched to a halt in front of me. I got in the car and I asked him what on earth had precipitated such a hasty trip back to town.
He looked at me most sheepishly and confessed that his cell phone had put itself onto Daylight Saving Time, which started for most parts of Canada on Sunday morning, but which our province doesn't participate in. He had forgotten to shut off the automatic time change feature. Since he received my text message about the lack of coffee hour in the middle of his own service, he assumed that my service was over all ready and that somehow he had preached so long at his service that he had kept the congregation almost an hour later than usual. He was in such a flap that he didn't stop to realize that made no sense! hahahahaha He excused himself from the church the second he said the final Amen and raced back to town, never dreaming he was rousting me from my own service long before it ended nor that he was NOT late getting home to catch his ride to retreat. hahahahahahaha The poor guy!! Meanwhile I was sad that I had to miss the rest of the special music and was very worried about my husband being in such a rush to get home. What a hoot!!!!
We came home and found a way to shut off the DST automatic time change feature on his phone, had a more leisurely lunch than we had expected to have, which was rather nice actually and he was more than ready to go when his ride arrived.
Next week I am doing the Prayers of the People at my church and it is done toward the end of the service. Hopefully I will be able to stay long enough to complete my ministry that morning. hahahahaha My poor husband is never going to live this one down! hahahaha
I had a decent sleep last night. It was quiet both inside the building and outside on the streets all night. What a treat. Although I am tired now, this afternoon, I did get 6.5 consecutive hours of shut eye for a change. It was wonderful. It put me in a great frame of mind to visit my good friend who came over after breakfast. We talked for four and a half hours and it was marvellous! So many subjects of interest to cover!
This afternoon I had a very positive conversation with my mom. She had resolved all the rest of the outstanding issues pertaining to her and Dad's moves etc. Her tax information is ready for the accountant and all is well.....and then the other shoe dropped: she confessed that she hadn't wanted to tell me, but she saw her doctor late last week. She is having some more tummy issues and her symptoms frightened me as soon as she listed them off. Next week she is having two scans, an MRI and some blood work and I hope she is not as frightened about the possible results as I am. I can only pray her problems are related to her diet and that the changes the doctor told her she must make immediately to that diet will solve the problem. Perhaps her doctor is simply being incredibly thorough and I am grateful for that, but I am praying intensely for her and trying not to worry. Sigh.....does she ever get a mental and emotional break? And now she is having worrying physical issues. We are not telling Dad until she gets her test results....likely the week we will be there moving her. O joy......Blaaaaaahhhhh...... Well, I am going to decide right now not to be worrying and to be simply praying for her instead!
I am going to concentrate now on making my dinner as I have another friend coming over in less than an hour to spend the evening with me. That will be another excellent visit, I am certain. Hallelujah!
No comments:
Post a Comment