Friday, August 21, 2020

When God Is In The Details....

....I have days like this one!

My husband and I both had a good sleep last night, waking up none too early this morning! YAY! There was a glorious rain storm about the time we were going to bed...short lived, but it did cool the overnight air.  The lightning was so glorious and the sound of the rain so soothing, that we fell asleep with only our ear plugs in place, no white noise sound loop necessary.  I set folded towels along the window sills to collect any wayward raindrops so that we could leave the windows open all night. It was a grand night for a good, sound sleep in the midst of the light show and booming thunder in the sky.

After a leisurely breakfast we lazed about watching the 3 hour finale of ALONE: the Arctic.  Thrilled for the winner and I am personally delighted that the two women in the final three contestants only went home near the end of the 100 day endurance test because of frost bitten feet and a realization that a personal goal had been achieved and it was time to go, the winning money not being the main issue. Talk about strong, independent, capable, amazing women...how I wish I had known women that obviously in control of their lives when I was young.  Talk about examples for the next generation of girls. The fellow that won the million dollars for lasting a full hundred days alone in the Arctic in winter, fending completely for himself, was so deserving!  It was an excellent season!  

Finally we hoisted our butts of the sofa, got dressed and drove about the city running a few errands.  My husband picked up the last of the canoe repair supplies, (a torturous procedure for him as he had a very long wait in line to purchase his 3 items due to the number of customers and the lack of number of cashiers, but for me it gave me just enough wait time to clear my cell phone of over 200 ancient text messages that are no longer relevant.), we dropped off supplies at Kat's, we checked on the canoes over in their storage/work space and then we went up to Madison Furniture to collect the dining room chairs.  My husband had already assured me that even if I made a disastrous choice, we would just live with it and enjoy having NEW chairs for a change.  What a nice guy, right?

I was shaking when we got the boxes home and sliced them open to view the contents.  Praise the Lord the chairs are perfect for colour, size and design.  My husband is delighted with my decision to purchase these chairs.....sigh....his delight and praise forced me to confess the truth: the chairs we picked up and brought home today are not actually the chairs I ordered!  The particular company that makes the chairs I did order also make a second style of chair...that second style, the one in my boxes, is a FAR better match for the wooden dining table we inherited from Mom.  The wood stain is an even better match with the table, there are cushier seats and a more comfortable seat back!!!!  WOW!!! They also cost several dollars more per chair than the ones I actually ordered.  I think God was in the details for me.  Just in case we had ended up with someone else's order accidentally, I called back to the store and talked to the salesman who took my original order. Guess what?  HE had written down the wrong purchase order code on the order form.  It is his mistake that resulted in my receiving the exactly perfect chairs for our dining room.  Thanking the Lord for that wonderful man's error. Although he did order the chairs I received, I was still only charged the price of the other chairs I thought I ordered! What a delight.

Once we established that I do have the chairs that the salesman ordered for me, my husband decided it was a good idea to have Indian lunch at DarBar to celebrate the purchase.  We each ordered a lunch platter along with a "side of take out boxes please."  Our waiter there always giggles when we do that.  In fact, at this point he usually brings them at the same time he brings our meals to the table, even if we forget to ask him to, because he knows we are each going to pack up half our platter to take home for dinner that night. NOW I am excited about dinner on this very hot day...no cooking required!  Only reheating!!  YAY!

Only a couple of more days of serious heat is forecast for the foreseeable future.  I certainly do hope the longer term forecast is at least somewhat correct and we will soon see fewer of these over 30C daytime highs!

2 comments:

SusanE said...

The story about your chairs, so cool!! Love it and love how God blesses you guys!!

Susan said...

He blesses you guys too in incredible ways sometimes, doesn’t he? We love hearing about your family and how some of the most dire situations eventually turn out....amazing!