Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Spend, SPEND, SPEEEEEEEEND!!!!


It has been a wonderful, positive day today!  Money hath been spent....a guaranteed wonderful, positive day for moi! hohoho!

We were off to a slow start this morning, but just after 11am my husband decided he felt well enough to go shopping for some items he has been in need of for some time.  Although we only entered a grand total of three stores for  his spending "spree", we found everything he needed!  YAY!

He is now the proud owner of a new hair cutting/trimming kit, several small personal items for us both, three long sleeved cotton shirts and two pair of new shoes!  TWO PAIR OF NEW SHOES at the SAME TIME!!  My husband now has four pair of proper footwear....FOUR!  I can't believe he will now have an actual choice of footwear depending on his activity at any given time.  That just doesn't happen for him.  As we approached the cash register carrying the shirts and shoes, I could see him beginning to fret about "all that money being spent, just for me...." and I prayed we would be able to complete the transaction before he started grabbing items off the counter and returning them to the racks and shelves.  Weeeeeeellll...., HE got quite a wonderful surprise when the purchases begin to ring into the register:  All 5 items were on sale...it was a major discount.  He ended up spending just over half of what he was expecting to pay and it was SO tempting for me to say, "Nyaaaa, nyaaa, nyaaa...." For once he did purchase everything he knew he needed with no waffling about at the cash register and coming home with less than required just to save a few dollars.  This time he was able to get every item AND save money...the perfect duo.

He also got some patching materials for his canoe.  He and a friend are going to spend a day together soon patching their canoes and then planning a day trip somewhere to try them out later this month.

Speaking of later this month: great news from my mom's facility this morning!  We have permission to spend a couple of days with her very soon.  We received confirmation of dates and times and what we are allowed and not allowed to do, where we can and cannot take her.  I got our accommodation booked, let Mom know it is all arranged and she is quite excited.  She all ready has a list of places she desperately needs to go for special groceries and banking and it will be a busy two days.  It will just be good to see her regardless of what we can or cannot do.  Although it will be a short visit, at least it will be better than nothing.  We will be allowed into her suite for a couple of hours as well each of the days we are there, so I am pretty pumped. NOW, we just need to PRAY that the COVID19 situation doesn't worsen in either of our cities to the point where things suddenly change and our visit gets scuttled!  However, we are prepared that this could happen, so....here's hoping for the best.

Mom also got a nice surprise in her bank account this week: she received some government senior's funding for both herself and Dad.  Although Dad died in June, she is allowed to keep the funds because the decision was made in June to qualify my parents for this particular funding.  The fact that it wasn't dispersed until July makes no difference. The amount Dad was approved for in June is hers to keep.  Hallelujah!  That is great news.  She was worrying about these funds, so called the government this morning to check it out.  The recording told her she would have at least a 1 hour wait time for her call to be answered, so she felt discouraged and hung up.  Then she reconsidered, realized that is just how long people have to wait to talk to a live person, settled herself into her favourite chair with a book to read, called back and lo and behold, a person answered immediately!!! How crazy wonderful is that?  She was thrilled.

Tonight we are meeting up with my husband's young cousin for a walk around the upper lake.  That will be fun. We haven't seen her since late January!  She has just returned from a visit with her extended family and we are looking forward to getting caught up on the family news. Tonight I WILL remember how many mosquitoes are now living here and wear a long sleeved shirt and jeans and socks and shoes and mosquito repellent  and a hat and......maybe some gloves!!  Wow, do they ever love biting me for some reason.   

A few minutes ago when I signed into my blog, I was automatically put into the new blogger interface...oh dear God...I hope I can make it work better when I am forced into using it later this month than I was able to make it work this afternoon!!!  I could't get the font to change, I couldn't get the font colour to change despite pressing all the right keys and icons and what have you!  There is some trick to this new interface that I completely missed this first time around, so I reverted to the "old" interface for this post.  from what I can tell, there is nothing about this new look that is going to be of any benefit to me personally and I wish I was going to be allowed the chance to let well enough alone and continue in my old fashioned interface.  Sigh....once I catch on it will be fine, but o my, I hope it is easier to use than it currently appears it will be!

No comments: