Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Life Is Happily Getting Back To Normal (is it a new one?) For Me!

I enjoyed my Senior Shopping Hour at SaveOn again this morning at 7am.  I had a fairly decent sleep last night, despite knowing the alarm was going to ring at 6am, so I had lots of energy to get up, eat breakfast and hie myself out the door.

Unfortunately, SaveOn had a huge sale over the weekend that I forgot about, so although I was able to take advantage of some of the sale prices, the shelves were rather bare of decent product, particularly in the produce section and in some of the other sections where I was hoping to make purchases.  As a result I ended up buying quite a few more items at Superstore than I generally do.  At least I was able to get everything on my list.

Superstore on Albert was a zoo this morning.  Either the head offices of Loblaws have pulled the Seniors/People with Disabilities only shopping hour between 7am and 8am or the staff at this store have given up any minor attempt they ever had to enforce it.  It was CRAZY TOWN in there, even at 7:20am when I arrived.  There were more people in there than I have ever seen before at that time on a weekday morning.  The staff had a huge problem this morning as well: two of their three early morning cashiers had not shown up for work, leaving one woman running the only open register in the entire store.  I waited nearly 15 minutes in a queue for that only open register.  I have never had to line up that long at 7:45am on a Tuesday morning.  The lady keeping us distanced in the lineup was very apologetic for the wait, but with only 1 person on the register, what else could we do but wait.  It certainly was not the fault of anyone who had actually shown up for work!  The cashier was friendly and efficient, not showing any of the stress she was likely feeling, so once I reached her I was out the door with my purchases very quickly.  While she was scanning my items and I was bagging them, I could hear the day manager on the phone over at Customer Service, calling the missing employees and giving them quite a dressing down for not being at work for their scheduled shifts. The one employee was rather angry apparently for being chewed out about for being over an hour late for work and actually hung up on the manager. I am guessing by the manager's reaction, there may be one less hire at that store by later today!  O my.....

On the way home I couldn't turn at my usual corner to get into our parking lot because there was a road block for a city street repair. Just as well. Since I had to go a fair distance out of my way, I was still driving when the Low Fuel light began flashing on the car's dashboard.  Fortunately my alternate route took me past a gasoline station and I was able to fill the tank!  My husband has done a lot of driving around the city collecting canoe repair parts for the past week, so no wonder we were running low on fuel!

I barely got the groceries bleached off and put away when it was time to walk downtown for my haircut.  I left quite early so that I could take my time.  There has been very little consistent long distance walking this summer between the hot weather and my health, so I didn't want to stress the muscles supporting the hardware in my hip.  It paid off.  I had no muscle discomfort until just a block before arriving home again after the marvellous cut and visit with the hairdresser.  I am determined not to overdo the speed on the longer distance walking unless or until I can get myself into better shape again with shorter, faster walks first. 

Came home to do a bunch of banking...bills start arriving this time of the month and for some reason the senders figure that I need to pay these bills....go figure...right? hahaha  Ate my fabulous leftover Indian food lunch and there is enough food left for my husband and I to each have another full meal from last night's order. Spectacular!!

No comments: