Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Energized! Amen!!

I don't know if it is because my weekend walking is completely responsible for restoring my energy, or if it was the promise of cooler days ahead that spurred me on to better activity levels because winter is closer than I wanted to think about previously, but the past few days have been just awesome!

Yesterday I woke up just before my 6am "Tuesday AM Shopping Alarm" sounded and hied myself over to a few grocery stores.  We are WELL stocked with food for the next two weeks.  YAY!  Unlike other recent early morning shopping sprees, I didn't feel exhausted before I even left home, I woke up on my own after a great sleep, I toddled merrily around the stores and had a clear head to remember those few items that never quite make the written list, but that come to mind on the drive to the first store.  

By the time I had everything I purchased disinfected, my husband was done with his own early morning Zoom meeting and away we went on an errand run.  I took a book to read so that I could wait in the car happily while my husband went into various hardware stores to buy the final repair parts for his canoe.  It just happened to be exactly noon when we were finished, so my husband acquiesed to my holiday request for a few more Indian meals before his holidays end next week.  Off to DarBar for a platter each: lamb roganjosh for my husband and chicken tikka pour moi. The dessert yesterday was gulab jamun and the extra side dish curried chick peas. The raitta was particularly good yesterday, the samoas freshly baked and the salad seemed to have doubled in size since our last visit.  It is a pretty great combo for $11.99 a person.  We didn't order tea masala yesterday, only the platters, so for our $30, tax and 15% tip included, we had a wonderful lunch and enough leftovers for a wonderful dinner as well last night.  It is difficult to make a decent meal for only $7.50 a person here at home and it would be a pretty plain, prairie food meal at that!!  A scoop of mashed potatoes, one piece of meat and a cup of steamed veggies....blaaaaaaahhh!!!  I really detest prairie meals, I have to admit. I grew up with them and didn't know there was anything else available, apart from the occasional A&W or MacDonald's burger, until I was a young adult.  At that point I finally discovered pizza!  Yup, it took me that long to find out that pizza was a thing. My parents didn't eat pizza, none of our friends ate pizza, so I never had the opportunity to learn it existed.  So, I have the old Calgary Pizza Downs to thank for introducing me to a wider range of tasty joys.  

In the afternoon we cleared off another boxing match on tv. Thank you Fox network for picking up where TSN left off after its summer programming.  Watching Sean Porter is always exciting. Wow, it has been the best summer for televised boxing EVER!  Thank you Coronavirus for the changes in boxing programming and scheduling.  

Last night my husband went over to assist Kat with her canoe repair for awhile and got a bit more work done on his as well.   He is tired today and so since rain is predicted for this afternoon and tomorrow, he will likely take 2 days off to relax and do other things.  This morning he sorted out a computer glitch, arranged for our communications provider to replace our dying system battery, deadheaded the roses, picked the tomatoes, discovered 4 giant 2x10 oak boards someone discarded in the outside bin, which he subsequently washed down and hauled to the basement to cut and replace our wimpy storage shelving down there...he has had a good morning of relaxed production!

Last night while my husband was working on the canoes, I decided to get a start on the ironing to get me on my feet after dinner. I thought I would just get a start on the project, maybe for half an hour, but it felt good to be accomplishing something and I completed the whole load in just under two hours.  YAY!

This morning, after another good sleep, I happened to wake up and look out the window just in time to see a good friend from church coming up our walk, bearing a letter for me from her charitable organization.  I threw on my housecoat and went out to chat for awhile.  I haven't seen her in person since the end of March, so what a treat to be able to speak together, even for a short time.  I noticed the air was much cooler than it was when I went to bed last night.

After breakfast I was able to get some emails answered, a pile of garbage taken out, bottles and cans sorted for our next trip to the recycling depot, the dishwasher put on and all the clean dishes then put away, as well as other assorted small chores that seem to keep being put aside because, "well, they will only take a minute so I'll do them later". Of course later never comes, so it was a good morning to do them all!  This afternoon I will walk over to the post office to mail some letters.  I am pacing my walks each day so that once again I am getting at least 30 to 60 minutes of exercise after each meal.  I will go for my complete physical later in Sept., only 6 months late, again thanks to the pandemic, but I do want to make sure my blood sugar isn't rising after my lack of exercise for the past 3 or 4 months.  I suspect it may be, but if it is, will I be able to regain control without meds once again?

My husband just called me over to his computer to read his test results online from the lab tests he had nearly a month ago.  Everything is well within normal range, his EKG is completely normal for a man his age, there are no abnormalities anywhere in the bone, heart, lungs, surrounding tissues. Praise the Lord for this good news.  Unfortunately none of his cholesterol tests for the past year have been posted, so until he goes to the doctor next week he will not have access to the last set of numbers pre-statin.  I really hope and pray this drug is working for him and that perhaps the amount he is taking could be reduced. He is on twice the dose I am on, BUT his numbers were far scarier than mine ever were even at my highest. So, it is looking more and more as if we are right...all his health issues of late stem from a recurrence of CFS, BUT he has done very well over the past 3 weeks and we are being very careful to keep his diet and exercise on track.  If that is "all" it is, particularly at his age, we can only be very grateful.

Oh how I LOVE "puttering" days like this one.

The temperature today is only forecast to go to +26C, about a 6 degree drop over most of this past week.  YES!  There is one more possible very hot day on the horizon before the forecast daytime highs drop to the high teens and low 20's.  Fall is in the air......since summer is officially over 5 days from now I suppose I shouldn't be so shocked. hahaha

No comments: