Saturday, December 9, 2017

A Honey of a Day

That is an expression my grandfather used to use and I detested it as a kid. hahaha  However, it is a good description of this sunny, warm, wind free, Saturday!!  (Plus when I went over to the grocery store after lunch I was able to make a sizeable donation to a favourite charity and receive a nice sized jar of delicious BC unpasteurized honey as thanks for my gift.)

My dad called today....again....hahaha.  For the past 10 years he has rarely initiated a call but in the past two weeks he has called 5 times. hahaha  It is wonderful to hear both him and Mom so very excited about life again, about all their activities at their seniors' residence and about which friends they have seen lately.  Dad was kind of confused today, but that is the rare day now, post-morphine, instead of a daily occurrence....so much easier on Mom. He ruined a small surprise Mom was planning for us for Christmas, but hopefully she will forgive him. The man CANNOT keep a secret! hahaha  

My husband called just before lunch to ask me to bring the vehicle to work so he could use it for making a work related delivery.  I was happy to have an excuse to get outside between loads of laundry!  Once the delivery was made he decided we should go out for a light lunch, so we stopped in at Abstractions Cafe on the way back to the office.  The place was nearly deserted, so unusual at any time, let alone on a Saturday at noon!  We quite enjoyed the privacy and the food was wonderfully fresh and filling as usual.  My husband tried an item from the Saturday brunch menu...the name of it has not stayed with me but it is a huge bowl (even the small size is huge) of small chick peas, ground lentils, onions and pine nuts with bits of roasted pita on top of the mixture which is creamy and has had a pat of butter added.  It is like a thick white soup, almost a stew and the taste is to die for. Drat...I wish I could remember what it is called.  It was accompanied by a long dish with two tomato chunks that I got to eat (I traded it for the slices of mushroom on my spinach salad), two slices of cucumber, a dish of green olives marinated in thyme and a dish of pickled turnip.  What a delicious meal he had.  I ordered the bean burrito, happy that the "burrito" was actually one of the small sized wheat and tomato wraps as the amount of carb is fairly low in those. It was stuffed with red and black beans, onions, celery, carrot slices and small corn niblets....actually I think it is their chili mix just stuffed into a wrap, with a light covering of cheese melted inside the wrap and a bit of sour cream on the side. It was delicious!!  The spinach salad was very fresh and was covered in carrot shreds and sliced fresh mushrooms. On the side was a very sweet and tasty raspberry dressing that I was only able to have the littlest bit of since I am sure it was sugar filled....sure did taste great though even in the miniscule amounts I was able to have.  My husband had a giant (technically a medium size) mug of tea and I had a small London Fog.  I am glad I had to do some shopping afterward to get in a walk and wear off some of the many carb units that I likely ingested between the beans and the wrap and the corn.  O my it was a lovely lunch and the owners/cooks are so very friendly and helpful in explaining what is in each of the dishes we had not heard of before.  My husband's meal originated from a favourite dish in Damascus, which is where the couple serving us are from.  

So, it has been a nice day...some wonderful surprises, a bit of driving around the city...seeing my husband unexpectedly in the middle of his work day, catching up on laundry....yeah, a nice day indeed.  Now I am going to watch a movie I recorded last week.  I think soon I will binge watch my two favourite Steve Martin movies: the Father of the Bride series, although I prefer the ancient original versions of those movies....in black and white...hardly ever shown any more unfortunately.

Off to relax on the couch,  and soak up the sunshine through the living room window while I enjoy my movie.

No comments: