Monday, December 11, 2017

Making My Parents Happy

What fun my parents had this evening!  We called them after supper, just about the time the box of un-Christmas gifts we sent them arrived at their door.  They were so excited they didn't want to finish the phone conversation, they just wanted to go and open presents.  After they gave me the obligatory scolding for sending them Christmas gifts, which I explained were actually un-Christmas gifts, they raced off to open the box and find the treasures within. hahaha

They promised they would call back as soon as they were done opening the gifts.  I was starting to worry when nearly three hours had passed and no return phone call had come in.  Finally they called back, very apologetic for the length of time it had taken.  I asked them if something had happened and there was a silence...even in the silence I could sense sheepishness and I was right.  Dad admitted they spent the better part of 2 hours trying on the clothes and cramming their mouths full of each of the different kinds of candies and chocolates that were part of the parcel.  hahahaha  He sounded odd when I first answered the phone and I wondered why. Then it hit me: "Dad, is your mouth full of chocolate right now??"  

Dad: "Uh...yeah...why?  Does it sound like I have something in my mouth?" 

Me: "hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha"

Mom was babbling about the fancy winter shirt I sent her.  In reality it is just a fancy sweat shirt, but it is a type she used to wear all the time and hasn't been able to purchase for several years.  I was delighted to stumble upon it in a new Northern Reflections store here.  Dad was thrilled about a large print novel he received. Talk about me lucking out: turns out it is by one of his favourite authors and I didn't know that. I think God gave me some guidance on that one!  Dad even loves the toque I sent him...a real risk as he is not a toque kind of man, but I worry about him going out to wait for taxi rides in his little wool cap that leaves his ears and forehead completely exposed.  Mom says she is sure he will actually wear this one because he loves the colours so much.  Whew again!!

Thank you Lord for helping me make wise choices for gifts for my parents.  It is a struggle when they are both 90 and have so few needs, but I know how they dearly love presents.  I am so glad I prayed my way around several stores, hoping I was sensing the best items to purchase.  I am not good at gift buying for others and need to spend a lot of time looking, re-looking, walking around, looking again, leaving the store I have been in, returning to the store I was in...it takes hours to buy a half dozen little gifts.  Fortunately I was not in a rush and had time to put on this little performance.  So happy my parents are happy.

So, books, puzzles, candies and clothes later, my parents have had Christmas treats.  In a few days they are going to some younger cousins' homes for fancy dinners and there will be more gifts and fun.  I am delighted for them.  Dad was at the doctor's office today to get some help with his inability to sleep and the doctor has him on half a sleeping pill and half a mild anti-depressant tablet.  Dad will never admit that aging has depressed him severely for many years, but this doctor is no dummy!  He has Dad convinced he is on this bit of anti-depressant only because it will supplement the half sleeping pill without making Dad so drowsy all day like a full sleeping pill does.  FINALLY a doctor recognizes this struggle my dad will not admit to.  He must know how to handle Dad just the right way to get Dad to agree to taking this type of medication. Mom too is thrilled with the MD! She is not easily thrilled by any sort of medical person, so this is wonderful news.

Had a long Merry Christmas conversation with my cousin this afternoon.  I can hardly believe that after all these years I have connected with a cousin who seems to want to stay in touch and that I have so much fun with.  What a blessing!!

My husband has relaxed considerably since his doctor's appointment this morning. He has the alarm set bright and early so he can get to the lab before it opens in the morning and get his tests under way.  I hope it won't take more than a few weeks to figure out what is going on, but as long as the diagnosis is accurate it will be worth my trying to be patient.

Another good day....wow......thank you Lord!

2 comments:

SusanE said...

What a delightful post to read tonight!! Such amazing blessings!

Susan said...

Yes, when I think of the past 5 years where it took both of them all the effort they could muster trying to pretend they were excited or even cared about getting presents. The change in both of them now that Dad is morphine free...I can hardly believe it. For however long it lasts, I am grateful.