Other than still feeling "weak as a kitten", an expression found in many an old British novel, I am out of bed today, staggering around purposefully, getting ready to shower and wash my hair, even put on clothes today! YAY!!
I "got rid of" the last effects of the mild food poisoning yesterday afternoon and have been recovering well ever since. That will teach me to keep better track of how long things have been in the refrigerator!
Our application to the government for my husband's 2018 housing allowance is now more than a month late being completed and sent, no fault of ours this year, but it does complicate the January and possibly February payroll deductions. Sigh.... This morning I collected all the required forms, rental lease, this year's utility bills etc. to be photocopied and sent in with the application forms. Fortunately all these papers only have to be sent to Saskatoon so they should arrive at the office there before the end of this year. Last year we were so late getting the employer forms we needed it was late January before everything was sent in. Hopefully things will be more on time for next year.
I decided to quit pushing myself for one more day and restrict my cleaning efforts to the bathroom and "den" where our friend will be staying tonight. The rest can wait until the weekend when I am feeling stronger. My husband will do nothing but sleep on Christmas Day so it will be a good day to get housework done.
So, not a big, busy day, but hopefully a satisfactorily busy day in keeping with my low energy. I am looking forward to having a big bowl of beef-barley soup at the restaurant we are taking our friend to tonight. Even a small bowl is packed with beef and veggies and will be a good meal for my sore tummy to work on. Had my regular breakfast today and it is settling well, so I know I am over, more or less, my upset. Now if my nose would stop hurting I would be in nearly perfect condtion! hahaha Darn those old metal venetian blinds. They really do hurt when they fall at full speed onto a person's face!
I talked to mom and dad again last night. A dear friend braved the snowstorm yesterday to drive to the pharmacy and pick up mom's medications. I don't know what my parents are going to do once this man ceases his driving days. O how I wish I was there to pick up the slack. Mom did sound slightly better and said her sore throat wasn't quite as bad as it had been, but she still sounds dreadful. She and Dad are under quarantine at their facility and are not allowed to leave their rooms for another 7 to 10 days, depending on how long Mom is ill. They are freaking out because the laundry is piling up and they are not allowed to go down the hall to the laundry room. hahaha I know just how much laundry it will be at this point: a few pair of underwear and one or two shirts and pants and about a half dozen towels. By the time they are out of quarantine they may have as many as 3 full loads! I get a kick out of the way getting the laundry done has become such a weekly mission since they moved into their present seniors' facility. I know I cannot call them on Tuesdays or Fridays until the evenings because they are high alert after Dad's showers on those days, stalking the laundry room machines, waiting for a washer and dryer to become free for their use. Never has laundry been so stressful for them. Once all the laundry is washed, dried and back in the apt. they both need a nap for stress relief. I am looking forward to my husband booking some time off near the end of February for a study leave in Calgary. That way we will be able to go and visit them. I can drive them around to do errands while my husband is working on his study leave project paper. I am relieved we will be able to get out there before the spring.
Our son leaves for Montreal tomorrow for 12 days with friends over the Christmas break. He has more temporary work to come back to in January that will buy him time to apply for more full time work. Even in New York the economy is very unstable at the moment, making for fewer positions available in galleries as paintings and sculptures are not selling as they were even a year ago. We never cease to be amazed at how happy our son is since he moved there, despite the rent fraud problem, despite the difficulty in securing full time work in his field, despite a lot of things.
We are counting the days now until my husband's sister and her husband arrive for a good visit. Only 5 days more to wait. The cousins' reunion is all planned and ready to go. My husband wants to introduce them to the Knotted Thistle pub. His sister is bringing one of her amazing tourtieres for Boxing Day dinner. There isn't a lot going on in the city for entertainment that will interest them as so many places close for the entire week between Christmas and New Year, but I am sure we can find enough things to do to amuse ourselves.
Now that I am feeling better again things are looking up. I spent a lot of time yesterday contemplating a few thoughts about God and about how I have been letting my conversations with him slip lately in the midst of so much stress. As much as I don't enjoy being ill, I think it was good timing. Being stuck in bed for a whole day, with nothing "busy" to distract me, got me back in touch with what I need to do to cope with the stress better and how God would so like to be involved in that. Good stuff.
The temperatures outside have become more seasonal over the past two days. The car has to be plugged in overnight again and by next week it will be at least -25C overnight, with daytime highs averaging +16 - +18C. Maybe some extended cold weather will kill off some of the flu and cold viruses making the rounds these days.
No comments:
Post a Comment