Friday, December 1, 2017

So Nice To Have You Home Dearie!

My husband arrived home right on time this afternoon from Victoria.  I so enjoyed sitting on the comfy chairs waiting for him to enter the arrival area, after spending a few minutes scoping out the two little gift stores located in our teeny tiny airport. I found a puzzle for my mom for a Christmas gift.  It is small enough to fit on a cookie sheet so she should enjoy putting it together....now I need to find out if she kept any cookie sheets when she moved into the seniors' residence....if not I will send one along with the puzzle!  

My husband's hotel was right around the corner from the Murchie's Tea outlet so he proudly showed me the two bags of fresh tea leaves he purchased as a gift for himself.  Lucky me too: he stopped in the Irish gift shop and bought me a lovely little Celtic cross necklace.  It is a copy of the 8th-9th century AD South Cross from Ahenny, County Tipperary.  I just love it.  It is on a cord instead of a metal chain so will not irritate my skin.  I also inherited his Diocese of British Columbia diocesan pin: a delicately drawn dragonfly.  It is so simple and modern. I love it. Our own diocesan pin is still the old fashioned crest shape that looks rather unwieldy and is certainly not attractive or fashionable as a piece of jewellry.  The dragonfly pin was part of his swag bag.  Also included were a small pack of smoked salmon, a small bar of awesome hand dipped mint soap, a huge maple Roget's chocolate and a roll of Mentos mints, all of which he will enjoy...although he did cut me off a bit of that giant chocolate so I could have a treat. Bless you husband!!

Of course as soon as he arrived I had to drive him to the office, but with his cold still hanging on and a wretchedly poor sleep last night, he very quickly accomplished what he needed to do there before I brought him home to rest....and begin preparing the sermon he is preaching Sunday evening at a priestly installation, the sermon he had no idea he was responsible to give until he went into the office today! hahaha  Our dear bishop forgot to inform him as he is as burnt out as my husband...Christmas and its couple of days break from the office cannot come too soon for either of these men.

After a nap, we had a good chat about possibilities for our future, then I made pita pizzas and salad for a light and easy dinner.  We watched a bit of tv in between getting my husband unpacked and more work being done on his sermon.

It was above average temperature again today, just above freezing. By Sunday the temperatures will begin their downward trend toward what is normal for this time of year and we may be driving through snow on our out of town journey to the installation, but we are not complaining after two weeks of excellent weather.  

One of the things we talked about in regard to upcoming retirement is that we are probably not going to be able to stay on the prairies.  Part of my husband's current struggle with life is that he has reached his limit of tolerance for the culture, landscape and the severity of the weather each summer and winter.  I hear him, I hear him....

I am glad we are finally thinking realistically about the future....that we are thinking at ALL about the future!!  It is wonderful to live day by day and see God lead and provide, but there is also a time when looking to the future, even though we can only guess at what it will hold, is equally appropriate and necessary.  We will reassess our plans every so often of course and a year from now we will do another big evaluation of our circumstances.

Maybe I am more ready for another of "God's little adventures" than I thought I was!

No comments: