Monday, December 4, 2017

The Wind Bloweth Where It Wills....

It is 4:15am and I am awake because the wind is driving the falling snow against the crackly plastic siding on our building. Winter has returned with a vengeance!

My husband is not yet over his cold, so yesterday afternoon I decided it would be wisdom to go along as his driver to the installation service for the new Anglican priest at George Gordon First Nation Reserve. It is only a 90 minute drive, but he was tired and had to preach. It gave me an excuse to get out of the house and I did feel considerably better than he did!

It was a nice drive on a well maintained two lane highway, under grey skies, with little wind. Turning off onto the twelve km of gravel road leading to the church we found ourselves travelling in a bit of beauty. Large trees lined the road for the first few kilometres, then gave way to rolling pasture land, then thick stands of birch trees. The little church appeared in the midst of those birches, newly sided in grey with dark green trim, and a swanky new roof the band administration assisted in paying for. Bless them.

The service was lovely, the people warm and friendly, the stew and bannock at the potluck hot, filling and delicious. The priest from my own church was there and we had the best talk. I am glad I attended.

I am so grateful my husband was up for doing the driving coming home. Less than halfway along the route we drove into a snowstorm that followed us all the way home. Compared to most other storms we have been caught in the past few years, this one wasn’t all that terrible, but I would not have driven in it nearly as competently as my husband did! We arrived home to about three inches of snow all ready covering the formerly bare lawns at decks at our place. Now we have another couple of inches of the white stuff blowing about in the wind. Talk about a winter wonderland out there. It is beautiful to look at, not so beautiful to drive in.

I think we may just cut back on some our errands today as getting about the city is going to be miserable until the ploughs get out to clear the snow from the main streets. My husband gets the whole day off! So far anyway, haha.

Our son came down with the flu yesterday so he emailed to ask for prayers and to let us know he was making chicken soup so he could try to heal quickly enough to do another week of temporary work. He also wrote a beautiful tribute to his dad. My husband was nearly in tears, he was so touched by it. Way to go son. You made your dad very happy at a time when he needs encouragement like that.

Oh....the ploughs have arrived on our street. Snow clearing with the huge blades is a noisy process, so, since I won’t be able to sleep through it, I am going to go and watch from the window. Now my husband is awake too, making himself a pot of green tea and a slice of toast. It is nearly 5am now. I suspect it will turn into a lazy day for us while we try to make up for our missing night’s sleep.

I think we will decide to just be “storm stayed” today!

No comments: