I can hardly believe a whole year has passed since Advent 2016! Where has this last year disappeared to??
I suppose part of the reason last year’s Advent season seems to have only happened recently is that the first Sunday in Advent last year was the day we were finalizing flights to the Okanagan for the celebration of life for my husband’s step father and subsequent flights to Calgary for my dad’s 90th birthday. It was a hectic time. Those events are still somewhat fresh in our minds due to their significance.
Since that time we have lost a favourite uncle, seen my dad’s life miraculously transformed through the kicking of all his morphine drugs, prayed our way along with a relative who suffered through extreme cancer therapy, had some holidays, sent my husband on various work related travels, survived and even enjoyed the intense heat of summer, waved farewell to our son due to his move south of the border and celebrated my mom turning 90.....among other things.
Now, once again, it is time for serious personal spiritual reflection, repentance, atonement and eventually joy in looking forward to celebrating once again the arrival of Jesus Christ upon the earth. I like to read John of the Cross’ writings about “The Dark Night of the Soul” at this season in the Church calendar. The depth of despair of personal failure, followed by the joyful recognition of where and in who help lies, speaks so strongly to me. I enjoy the counter balance between the darkness of some of his writings with some of the more joyful visions of Teresa of Avila.
I am going to be missing out on most of my church’s Advent services this year unfortunately, but I can still sing our little Advent ditty: “Advent is waiting, four weeks of waiting. Advent is waiting for Christmas to come.”
May your own time of Advent reflection, repentance and atonement be very special and meaningful to you this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment