What seems like only a few years ago now, I began to look somewhat askance at some of the getups my mother was wearing to bed, particularly in the winter. Just this evening I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, dolled up in my own winter sleeping regalia and scared myself witless when I found myself staring at my own mother!
Bizarre winter nightwear for us older gals kind of creeps up on us slowly. It only takes that first winter of unexpected middle of the night shivers, come December, to find yourself making a change from a lifetime of sleeping in either a skimpy cotton tee shirt, or even total nudity, to some sort of structured, lightweight pajama set or fussy cotton nightgown.
Thus begins the descent on the ladder of old age.
Step 2 doesn’t usually happen for a few years afterward, but at some point you realize you have swapped out the light, smooth cottons for heavier, combed flannel.
Step three sees the addition of nighttime panties beneath all that flannel.
Step 4 tends to take place not too many months after step 3: waking up one morning to discover you are still wearing yesterday’s ankle socks and that you slept far more soundly with warm feet. (Step 4a happens when you start deliberately shopping for slightly oversized socks specifically for bedtime wear.)
I have now reached Step 5 of the descending ladder: the wearing of an oversized cardigan sweater overtop of the flannel pajamas or nightgown. Perhaps I will be able to take a one rung of the ladder step back if we ever again get to live in a house that has actual insulation left in the walls. Buuuut.....perhaps not. For now I am no end of grateful that I accidentally kept a lightweight, size 2X cardigan from the former days of chunky. It fits loosely over and does not tend to adhere to the flannel sleeves of my nightgown! YES! Of such insignificant joys is old age made.
Mom, I apologize to you my scathing comments about your odd looking bedtime outfits.
Now I too am old and I get it..... I really get it.
Old ‘n’ cold....that’s me,
No comments:
Post a Comment