Shortly after I got up this morning I stubbed my toe on the coffee table. Aaaargh! I HATE stubbing toes! They hurt all day after stumbling into something and bashing them about, and today is a bad day for that what with all the running about needing to be done.
Ooh, but the story gets better (or worse from my perspective): once I was able to stop hobbling about, get my breakfast, get dressed and see my husband off to work, I wanted to go to a rather large grocery store and get the shopping for this next week done early in the day, as there was a pile of ironing awaiting my attention after lunch so my husband will have clergy shirts for work the rest of the week.
Just before I left for the store I was opening all the window blinds when one of the ones in my bedroom fell right off the wall and smashed itself down onto the bridge of my nose, knocking my glasses somewhere over onto the other side of the room. OOOOOWWWWWWIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!!!! The pain was excruciating and I was sure my nose must have broken. BUT it didn't! It has a bit of swelling still this afternoon just below where my glasses rest, but there was no broken skin, no bleeding, only a teensy bruise...thus far anyway, and it only hurts if I accidentally touch it. My glasses didn't get any scratches or dings or bends or broken bits and I am very, very grateful for that! It took awhile for me to stop cussing and hopping about on the foot that wasn't hampered by a stubbed toe, locate my glasses and put a cold compress on my bruised nose.
Finally I made it over to the grocery store, only to discover the most wretched produce on the shelves that I think I have ever seen in my life! What a disaster. Who in their right mind would buy that stuff...and at full price....just to feed to whatever pigs they might be keeping out in the sheds in their back yards?? Who?? Who??? Who???? It was so disgusting I had to keep glancing over at it, particularly the mushy, brown, limp lettuce leaves that looked like they had been sitting in water for several eons before ever hitting the shelves in the store. The carrots were soft like velvet ribbon and the carrot tops, originally thick, green and lush, were drooping and nearly black, they were so rotten. The celery was so bruised and battered and brown as to be barely recognizeable as celery. I won't bother describing the rest of the ugliness...you get the idea. The store shall remain nameless....until and unless this happens again. Yikes...gag!
I ended up buying most of my fruit and produce at SaveOn Foods and the price there was most reasonable for the quality of their produce, especially when compared to the dreadful mess up the road at the first store I shopped at. SaveOn has a basket full of fresh bananas that are free to any children stuck grocery shopping with their parents. I thought that was a nice touch.
Eventually I completed my shopping and banking and post office-ing and came home for lunch. As I hauled the remains of my old head of lettuce from the crisper, with the intention of putting it onto my chicken sandwich, I remembered the condition of the nearly fermented lettuce at Store #1 and started gagging. I put my lettuce back in the crisper for tomorrow. I couldn't face eating lettuce at all.
After lunch and getting the ironing done I realized it has been several days since my parents last phoned me. In their present state of being well enough to contact me at least three times a week again, just like "old times", it occured to me that something may be wrong. So I picked up the phone and dialed. As soon as Dad answered I knew my timing was not good! He sounded vacant, harried and exhausted. Sure enough, the taxi was about to arrive to take him and Mom to the doctor for a bit of an emergency visit for Mom. Dad had a touch of the 'flu' and then Mom got it....DAYS ago and is still very ill. I made Dad promise me he would call me back as soon as they arrived home but I wonder if he will be able to remember to do it. Why Mom is going outside in a taxi if she is still ill I am not certain. It is possible she and/or Dad have developed fear over how ill she has been and decided to risk the clinic visit, or it is possible Dad called the clinic for help and was told to bring her over. I don't know but I am kind of feeling antsy. I hope she is okay and that DAD is able to care for HER this time around! O Lord, it is really difficult sometimes being this far away when they obviously need help. I suspect she is severly dehydrated if she has influenza. It seems the older generation, (yes, even older than me!), is not big on water consumption at the best of times, let alone when ill.
I hope the rest of the day inside my suite here turns out as beautifully as today's weather. It is only -7C, our last warm day before the very cold temperatures hit us once again...those lovely seasonal highs of -20C day after day. My husband's sister and her husband will be here in the midst of the coldest days if the weather forecast for next week has any accuracy to it. It has certainly been correct recently! Every wonderful day like we have had the past couple of weeks is one less day of bitter cold. The sunshine is glorious today and I kind of wish I had somewhere I really need to drive to this afternoon just to get out into it.
Tomorrow I am going to try to head up to Cornwall Centre to the jewellers' there and get my Christmas gift from my parents. They are buying me a new heavy, antiqued silver chain to wear with a turquoise pendant I "inherited" a couple of years ago. The chain it was on was very old when I got it and about a year ago it came apart as I was putting it on. I am so glad it didn't break outside of the suite, in a store or walking along the street when I may not have noticed right away and subsequently lost the turquoise pendant. Whew! If I can't find anything there I am going to go jeweller to jeweller around the city until I find what I want. Thursday I have a bit of light housekeeping to do to be ready for an overnight guest, then I will hit the cleaning hard, fast and continuously between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to be ready for our family on Boxing Day. I have met more than one or two others who are going to also spend Christmas Day cleaning their homes for the arrival of family on Boxing Day. hahahaha THE new Christmas tradition!! hahahaha
My toe has finally stopped throbbing while I have been writing this. Not walking or standing on it for awhile is obviously what it wants. The sun has banished nearly all the clouds in the sky at the moment. I am thinking there must be some garbage I could take to the bin, or some grocery item I somehow missed this morning that would necessitate a short trip to the closest store...something, anything to get out of here again for a few minutes. Hmmmm....what could I possibly invent a need for...........?
No comments:
Post a Comment