Sunday, December 31, 2017

New Year’s Eve Day

So....it is currently -32C with a windchill of -41C. It is the coldest day thus far, but temperatures are to start moderating tomorrow when our daytime high should reach -22C. Spring-like is how that will feel. I am all ready praying for all the inebriated New Year’s Eve revellers who may find themselves staggering about in the frigid night air, post midnight. Praying for rural drivers who may suffer auto breakdowns out in “the middle of nowhere”. People ending up outside and freezing to death is a huge worry in this weather, particularly with the addition of alcohol to their systems. Hopefully people here in the city will be able to make wise use of the free transit rides going on all night.

We had a delightful time taking our bishop and his wife for dinner last evening. How we all wish we had time to go out together more often. Our meal at The Chimney was the most expensive rip off I have been conned into at a restaurant in a long time and I will never go there again, but the fellowship was wonderful and more than made up for the dreadful, pricey “food”.  Yes, in the case of my and my husband’s meals at least, I was tempted to send both his fatty steak and my water chilled chicken, as well as our nearly raw vegetables back to the kitchen. Dreadful!! Our guests seemed to fare somewhat better, thank goodness. When we made our choice of restaurant we were not told at the time of making the reservation that we would be restricted in our choices to a special New Year Weekend menu that was extremely limited and that the items listed, all available on the regular menu, would have their prices raised by nearly ten dollars per plate. Nasty! It was quite a shock and most unappreciated. We have eaten some delicious meals at The Chimney in times past but we will not risk  it ever again.

We were relieved to get a text message late yesterday afternoon from my husband’s sister to let us know she and her husband had survived the freezing temperatures and arrived home safely. Whew! Their visit is what made our Christmas merry!

Our son spent the day visiting the Leonard Cohen exhibit at MAC where his friendship with the curator of the exhibition netted him free entrance....bonus! Like ourselves, the lack of a family turkey dinner hit the emotions hard this year, but he is ever so grateful for the chance to spend 12 days exploring Montreal with his friends. He has been in touch every day of his holiday, which we find rather hilarious. He has been calling his grandparents as well, so they are tickled by that. How I wish he could find himself a very special lady to create his own family unit with and overcome his chronic state of being alone. O well, once Christmas is over and life returns to normal we will all feel better.

I admit that since I detest the entire Christmas season, I am super glad that life will return to its usual state on January 2nd! YES! Only two days to go until it is all over, thank you Lord! If the folderol could begin and end with the Christmas Eve church service I would love Christmas. That is what is important to me personally and I could live quite happily without the ten days of stress and dashed hopes and emotional jerking around that I associate with this particular holiday season. Bah! Humbug!

My husband has been wanting to go into the office with me this morning to file all the papers presently sitting in stacks around his office. I want to help him and not only because he has lost a substantial mileage reimbursement  cheque somewhere in those stacks! Sigh..... Last night he talked as though he may renege on his commitment and laze around again today before we go to visit friends in the afternoon. Looking at the temperature outside I am also wondering if we would be wiser to wait until tomorrow. It seems to me if will be rather hard on the car, warming and starting it for a three minute drive to work, only to leave it sitting again getting cold for a couple of hours.

Looking forward to seeing our friends today. We haven’t seen them since Thanksgiving. It will be a joyous reunion. It is a solid friendship that we very much appreciate. It is fascinating learning about Egyptian culture! They love telling us about what their lives there were like, but how grateful they are to have been able to immigrate to Canada.

So, happy New Year everyone. However you celebrate tonight, stay warm and safe.

No comments: