Saturday, December 23, 2017

Good Old Humour

Yesterday I took time to watch an old fashioned comedy movie circa 1954. “The Belles of St. Trinian’s” was released the year I was born and stars one of my favourite British actors, Alistair Sim and excellent character actor Sidney James. They were both wonderful examples of British comedy actors of that time.

The movie is completely ridiculous but a great lot of fun, once again proving to me that foul language and overt, blatantly sexual content is not the stuff of the best comedy. Something as simple as Mr. Sim playing a dual role as the headmistress of St. Trinian’s School, and her bookie younger brother has me more than just mildly amused. He could simper with the best of them.

The foibles of movie production methods of that time just add to the fun for me. At one point in the movie one of the characters sees a shadow of a horse as she looks at a sunlit reflection on the wall of her room. The reflection is obviously a cardboard cutout. Hilarious!

Tuesday at midnight I am going to record the original movie version of “The King and I”. Yes, it is as hokey as the day is long, but I love it. Yul Brynner’s interpretation of the King of Siam, spoiled and willful even as a grown man, has never been matched for me and I still remember the lyrics to all the songs. I’ll watch it one day when I am home alone and can warble along with them.

One of the joys for me of Christmas tv programming is getting a chance to watch golden oldie movies once again.

No comments: